Guest Guest5035

Bleak jobs outlook

Well Bluescope are laying off, but Onesteel are taking on, so perhaps better news for SA than the rest of the country? We still have this two speed economy though, with mining doing well, but nothing else - should have let the government bring in their mining tax rather than letting them get distracted by the carbon tax! Can;t see how any Australian company can compete internationally these days though with such a strong (aussie) dollar.

Guest Guest5035
    What ya gonna do?

good question, especially if you are planning to come to SA.

stevo

Although our unemployment rate is still low compared to other countries.

There seems to be industries that are booming or jobs that are needed to be filled and then other areas that are struggling. Great if your skills are needed in the booming industries but not so great if you are competiting against the masses for a job.

Guest Guest5035
    Although our unemployment rate is still low compared to other countries

Theres more people live in and around Manchester than in the whole of Australia!! Figures will be manipulated though.

Whats going to happen i think will be the tip of the iceberg. Lots of companies will be announcing big losses which means 1 thing.

With the way the GBP is to the AU$ and the current climate, its a big decision now if you are thinking of coming over.

stevo

You are right about the figures being manipulated. I think there has been a bit of 'keeping things quiet' going on to make things appear better than they might be. I know of people that have been told to keep quiet about losing their jobs and this message has come from the Government!!

Although our unemployment rate is still low compared to other countries.

Yes, but Australia has a far higher rate of casual, contract and part-time workers than many other developed countries. This means you won't show on the unemployment figures but might well have no security, have times when you're not needed by the organisation and therefore aren't getting paid, or have to hold down multiple positions to make a living!

Perhaps an acceptance that the inflation target is set too low - at least for the next few years while things are so fragile - is needed; keeping interest rates high (by comparison to other countries) helps push down inflation, but at what cost? Keeping inflation under control used to be one of the pillars of economics, but now it seems to have been elevated to the central concern that overrides everything else.

Jim

you can tell there is a slow down in the jobs market by how thin the career one supplement has got over the last couple of months...

Very quiet at my place, but that's more down to the rep being a lazy arse who doesn't WTF he is doing....

Rant over...

HG

Yes, but Australia has a far higher rate of casual, contract and part-time workers than many other developed countries. This means you won't show on the unemployment figures but might well have no security, have times when you're not needed by the organisation and therefore aren't getting paid, or have to hold down multiple positions to make a living!

Jim

Good point about the casuals. I was casual (along with 3 other people) in my last job for 1 year then we were all finished when the company closed (I am sure we won't appear in any unemployment figures!). The first job I had in Adelaide a lady at the company had been casual for 9 years and I went to an interview recently and was talking to the receptionist while I was waiting and she had been casual for 5 years!!!!

Guest Guest5035

most casuals prefer being casual, its a better wage, well it is at our place, but then no sickies or a/l

stevo

Guest loopylisa

Again I think this is a case for individual experience over figures in my field of psychology I have had to move from post to post all over the UK and its always been temporary so it doesnt bother me if it is any different in oz. Plus ive managed to secure a fab interview at Uni SA two days after I land so my experience so far has been positive,