Misplaced

New House Build

Hi all, I know we ahven't arrived yet and not likely to arrive until July 2012 at the earliest but one thing I would like to do is to have my own house built eventually - that's if evrything pans out ok. Anyway, what I would like to know is do you guys have any recommendations for builders? What are the hidden costs that you weren't told about? Are there alot of extra's that you have to buy to get the house how you want it? And any other info on this would be great. I know it is a long way off but I want to see if it practiable for us or is it just a pipe dream. Oh one last question what size plot of land would you say is decent enough for a 4 bedroom with pool? I know it woul depend on the size of pool and bedrooms but an average would be helpful. Cheers.

House building here (in the mainstream) is different to the UK. In the UK, building your own house isn't that common, and when you do, you usually go to an Architect for the design, and then choose a contractor to build it all for you.

Over here, that method still occurs, but most of the time people go the home builder route. Basically there are loads of companies with standard off the shelf house designs. You choose a plot of land on a development (or a vacant plot in an established area), and then you decide on a house design that will fit on it. You can tweak the designs, but if you start changing too much, they'll start charging you. The good thing about these companies is that as all the designs are already drawn and detailed, it's more cost efficient.

Have a look at Statesman Homes, Homestead, Fairmont Homes, Dechellis Homes, Scott Salisbury, Medallion to get an idea on the range.

all depends what your after any block 500m2 and up would suit. Loads of project builders out there most are the same as each other one person will say this one is good and someone have had a bad experiance with them there all about the same. Everything you want is an extra they give you the basic house with basic fittings and you tell them what you want. I know that when we built 10 years or so ago all the power points were singles we had to upgrade to twins at a cost you could spend a small fortune just depends what you want .I would say on avrage people spend about $30-$40000 on extras.

all depends what your after any block 500m2 and up would suit. Loads of project builders out there most are the same as each other one person will say this one is good and someone have had a bad experiance with them there all about the same. Everything you want is an extra they give you the basic house with basic fittings and you tell them what you want. I know that when we built 10 years or so ago all the power points were singles we had to upgrade to twins at a cost you could spend a small fortune just depends what you want .I would say on avrage people spend about $30-$40000 on extras.

This is good advice and very true. But it's still MUCH cheaper than finding an Architect, and doing it that way - I should know as I work for an Architects, and we couldn't even begin to compete with the home builders.

We have just finished building our second home with Gallery Living (Part of the Longridge/Sarah Homes group). I decided not long after we built our first house that I would do it again as it really is a learning experience - our first house we built through AV Jennings and had a relatively good experience, this build however has far surpassed that and I can honestly say that the experience was a pleasure. We went into this build knowing what we wanted so did move walls, doors, added a lot more power points, outside shower, fridge plumbing etc etc Its the little things that you realise after the fact that you need. As has alreay been mentioned re price I would suggest that when looking at builders prices you could easily add 50 - 60k onto that price to get a finished house - footings price is not always included - then you need to look at kitchen upgrades, flooring, air conditioning, heating, paving, landscaping, stormwater, light fittings, window coverings, tv ariels, mail box etc etc. I did start a thread with recomendations for tradies that we have used and would be happy to pass these names on - just pm me.

Again I cant recommend Gallery Living enough and I love my house - if anyone is interested go and see Russell at the show home in Aldinga - great guy and he helped me design my perfect house I love it!

Guest Tina P

We also are just building our 2nd home, 1st build was with Homestead Homes and we had no problems at all and was a quick build - this was 3 years ago.

Our 2nd time is with Format Homes and again so far so good.

We bought the land and then found the builder, I knew what and how I wanted this home to look so I roughly drew out how I wanted the home and took it to a few builders, some just didn't get what I wanted but Damien at Format, Seaford did.

The basis Spec is very good and we have upgraded high ceilings, doors and kitchen as this has to be our last home (Ive been told !) we have also bought our own tapware, basins and sink and got a reasonable credit back from the builder, I couldn't say how much extra we have paid because it wasn't a builders design.

Agree with what Lindsey says about all the extras and the foundations are not included in the builders price. For example our foundations for this house were just over $20,000, this doesn't include the removal of the soil.

We had to put in a retaining wall before the builder would start and had to have the land re pegged out by a surveyor, that was an extra $2,000 we didn't expect.

In Mclaren Flat we are not on mains sewerage so need a septic tank - an extra cost, also its medium bush fire area so extra costs with 'sarking' on the roof and special fly screens, we knew this from the last build but all to add on.

So Misplaced you have a few recommendations of builders, we have a 680sqm plot on our 1st build and a 718sqm on the 2nd one and both 4 beds/2bath/study and could easy get a pool in (if we could afford to get and run one).

Good luck

Tina

Hi Misplaced

We have built 2 homes - both with Rivergum.....we bought 2 blocks of land. What I would say is - try and find a block that is relatively flat - as the cost of retaining walls are very expensive. We found this out with the first block of land.

I agree with Lindsey and Tina - I would roughly say, that there was a approx $50k on top of the basic house price.... ....it really all depends on your foundations and what they find....both of our blocks were what they predicated, which was good....but we have had friends where there was alot of difference.

We have, I would say a large 4 bed house (2 bath, study, & 2 x Rumpus rooms, garage)...on a small block of land (375sqm).....but we put a two storey house on it....making our garden a good size.

We have an average size pool (3.6 x6.3) in it and also a good size entertainment area. Our garden does not feel small at all.

Hope this helps.

Sarah

We have just finished building our second home with Gallery Living (Part of the Longridge/Sarah Homes group). I decided not long after we built our first house that I would do it again as it really is a learning experience - our first house we built through AV Jennings and had a relatively good experience, this build however has far surpassed that and I can honestly say that the experience was a pleasure. We went into this build knowing what we wanted so did move walls, doors, added a lot more power points, outside shower, fridge plumbing etc etc Its the little things that you realise after the fact that you need. As has alreay been mentioned re price I would suggest that when looking at builders prices you could easily add 50 - 60k onto that price to get a finished house - footings price is not always included - then you need to look at kitchen upgrades, flooring, air conditioning, heating, paving, landscaping, stormwater, light fittings, window coverings, tv ariels, mail box etc etc. I did start a thread with recomendations for tradies that we have used and would be happy to pass these names on - just pm me.

Again I cant recommend Gallery Living enough and I love my house - if anyone is interested go and see Russell at the show home in Aldinga - great guy and he helped me design my perfect house I love it!

Hi, have pm'd you I hope but couldn't see it my sent folder