Guest Nolesy

Car Valuations

Guest Nolesy

We are bringing our car over from the UK however as part of this 'challenging' process we require a 'landed valuation' of the car from which to base the payment of GST and import duties. Does anyone know or used an independant valuer for this purpose that is an 'approved valuer'. If not any ideas how I find such a valuer ?

Cheers

Nolesy

Guest Nolesy

Thanks Ian, I presume the authorties at Customs would accept a valuation from these guys and doesn't have to be from some expert panel they may have.

Guest Nolesy

Its a Land Rover Freelander 2 about 4 years old, with 17000 miles on the clock

We imported our Volvo and our tax liability was based on what we bought the car for in the UK, it was then converted into Aus$ for tax purposes. This is clearly in your benefit at the moment with the $ £ the way it is. We didn't use an independent valuer or use redbook or anything like that. Note: even though the car was bought two years ago for their calculations they will not take into account depreciation over that period!

Have you kept all your original paperwork relating to what you paid for it? You'll benefit from the resale value should you decide to sell it in the future. Also, you'll find getting insurance difficult as there are very few companies that seem to offer Import car insurance. I can't remember who we are using, but if you want info PM me and i'll find the documents. Don't bother using an importer, it's easy enough to do it all yourself once you have the relevant permissions etc.

Happy to provide other advice if needed.

Cheers

James

Guest ras

Hi Nolesy, I wonder if you could tell me which company you are using/ got a quote from, and how much they are charging etc. so far I am getting so confused I dont even know if its worth my while to ship as no clue of a definate price. Unfortuentaly I didnt realised you had to own the vehicle for 12 months and we sold our quality family car to reduce costs etc. We now realise to buy that same vehicle in Adelaide it would cost about $50,000 !! ( nevermind- can't look back ). I now have a BMW 3 SERIES which is only worth approx £2500, this same car in Australia is about $ 17,000 it seems. So when I work on these figures it seems reasonable to ship as would be expensive to buy out there.

I have been quoted £1400 to ship the car.....but dont understand how the taxes work, gst i think would be £375 and then customs about £400..does this sound right toy you.

Thanks Rachael

We are bringing our car over from the UK however as part of this 'challenging' process we require a 'landed valuation' of the car from which to base the payment of GST and import duties. Does anyone know or used an independant valuer for this purpose that is an 'approved valuer'. If not any ideas how I find such a valuer ?

Cheers

Nolesy