jodipodi

MIDWIFERY Placement/voluntary/work experience WANTED!!

Hi all, I have also posted in 'jobs/careers' but want to make sure I cover my bases so posted here too......I am applying to University here in the UK in hope of becoming a Midwife and will start next year if I am successful. I am coming to Adelaide on a reccie in April and I'm really keen to get some experience of midwifery in Australia as I if all goes according to plan this is where I will be in the future! We will be in Adelaide for a month when we arrive in April so a few days volunteering on a maternity ward or even out and about with a Midwife/ antenatal clinic would be fantastic experience for me and would gain me a good insight into 'real midwifery'. I don't know how these things work with regards to CRB checks and so on etc but if anyone could help me out or can point me in the right direction I really would be ever so grateful, it may help me a great deal with my chances of getting into University and getting my dream job!!!!

Thanks in advance,

Jodi x

[quote name='jodipodi;196917

Hi all' date=' I have also posted in 'jobs/careers' but want to make sure I cover my bases so posted here too......I am applying to University here in the UK in hope of becoming a Midwife and will start next year if I am successful. I am coming to Adelaide on a reccie in April and I'm really keen to get some experience of midwifery in Australia as I if all goes according to plan this is where I will be in the future! We will be in Adelaide for a month when we arrive in April so a few days volunteering on a maternity ward or even out and about with a Midwife/ antenatal clinic would be fantastic experience for me and would gain me a good insight into 'real midwifery'. I don't know how these things work with regards to CRB checks and so on etc but if anyone could help me out or can point me in the right direction I really would be ever so grateful, it may help me a great deal with my chances of getting into University and getting my dream job!!!!

Thanks in advance,

Jodi x

Sounds good,shows you are enthusiastic however I don't think they would allow this due to insurance for you.

Contact Flinders Private Midwifery Ward 5 North. Talk to the Clinical Manager.

Cheers

Hope this helps :-)[/indent']

Guest loopylisa

I'm sorry you wont be able to work on a reccie. Even voluntary work maybe considered a breach of your VISA conditions. You cant work on a tourist VISA. Breach and you're risking your chance of emigrating. I would ask immigration if this is possible before going ahead and assuming you will be able to do voluntary work,

[h=3]Visa Conditions[/h]Visitors to Australia must be willing and able to abide by the visa validity and conditions while in Australia. If you do not abide by these conditions, your visa may be cancelled or you may be subject to other penalties.

• You must not work whilst in Australia. Limited volunteer work may be acceptable;

N>B It says MAY so i would look into it

I doubt very much that midwifery would fall into the limited volunteer work.

If you want to find out perhaps contact the Aussie midwives board direct and explain your situation. I am sure someone there is qualified to give you an answer. If not they can put you in touch with someone I am sure.

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/

Aww thank you all so much for even replying, I knew this would be a real loooong shot but I've got to try don't I?! Never even crossed my mind about breaching my Visa, that couldv'e been a sticky situation :eek: glad you mentioned it. Great information you've all given me so thanks alot, I'm on it! xx