Guest pixie7

January job situation/holidays

Guest pixie7

Need some advice please, we are heading over in January- just wondered about the holidays in Adelaide. I realise its school hols and apparently lots of businesses shut down/slow down. We would like a few weeks 'holiday' before the real hard graft starts but just wondering if oh could still register with agencies and apply for jobs in this time? How slow does the job market (IT) go in January? Does it all go back to normal in Feb?

Thanks

Guest johnosmad

He can register with an agency whenever he wants really, all it means is that they will have his details on his system and he will be classed as "not looking", pretty much the best way to look is to apply for the jobs online (Seek or CareerOne or whatever) and the agency will call him if they are interested. They will probably need him to go in for a chat anyway if he is going to be working for them. I am still getting calls now and then in regards to jobs I applied for 4-5 months ago, the agency must have kept my CV and it came up when they were trying to fill another position so they gave me a call.

Cheers

Johno

Guest boesman

Hi pixie7. When are you going? We are flying out on the 12th of Jan and arrive the 14th. Will also start looking for work then. My hubby a tiler and hopefully will find something soon!. Where are you staying at first? We will be in Moana for the first two weeks and who knows after that. Cheers!

@Johno - which Agency were you with as they sound quite good. Have read on here or another forum that some are good and others not so - so any recommendations would be good ;-)

Guest johnosmad

Hey Misplaced,

I am in Brisbane at the moment and have worked with Hallis, Talent International and Hamilton,James and Bruce but have also had interviews through Manpower and Hays, most of these operate Australia wide and are very helpful/friendly, especially Talent, the guy I dealt with here(Brisbane) contacted the office in SA for me and his friend is going to distribute my CV about 2 weeks before I arrive which is pretty soon!!!!!

I was a pain in the a&%e to find work for as I am on a WHV until I validate my 176 so because of the 6 month work limitation it is hard to get an IT contract as most companies want people they can make full time and that wasn't an option for me but they still managed to get me good work.

What industry are you in? I can ask around and let you know some agencies as my friend is from Adelaide and worked through agencies for a few years before coming up here.

Cheers

Johno

Guest loopylisa

Fyi you cant read your blog as it says it is for 'invited; access only. Not sure if you're aware of this.

Guest johnosmad

Hey Loopy, I just took it off an hour ago as I am re-vamping it just now, :wink:

Hi Johno,

I'm in IT as a Business Analyst/Requirements Writer been working as that for the last 11 years in the UK Government. I'm not due to be out there until July 2012 but that may have to be brought forward if I manage to secure a Voluntary Redundancy package at work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Misplaced

If you are looking at working in the government sector then most agencies don't start advertising until late January. When I was doing temp work I decided to leave one job just before Christmas to have a holiday and it was a good time to do that. It took until early February to get another temp job and I was very actively looking for the last two weeks before I was ready to go back.

Guest pixie7

Thanks everyone for the info. We are hoping to go on the 5th January (arriving 7th) Havent got accomodation sorted yet :wideeyed: but we have a few options! OH will register with agencies asap but we are hoping to have a few weeks (not too many tho!) of getting sorted and looking around before work starts. We are hoping to get a few weeks in holiday accomodation and start looking for longer term rents as soon as we can.

Thanks for the help x