Been here two weeks already?

malkitek

Hello,

We have been here two weeks and it has flown by! Although in a weird way it feels like months!

Singapore airlines flights were great, but we weren't allowed to take our duty free whiskey on last leg which we has bought in London even though it was sealed! Very sad hubbie threw away his whisky!

Great holiday rental just where we wanted to be, owned by lovely couple who picked us up at the airport.

Really helpful people have helped us everywhere we have gone with getting medicare cards, drivers licenses etc.

Not so helpful people with one car we have bought but thats another story :wacko:!

As I was starting work a week after arriving, we got a bit stressed about finding a rental, viewed some bloody awful ones, but got the first lovely one we saw, nice three bed villa in Port Noarlunga South, handy for the beach and the bakery where I now have a loyalty card!

Have finished one week of work, would recommend a bit more time off to start if you can afford it, but certainly makes you know you're not on a holiday. Commute in is a bit far, parking rubbish at the hospital, will look for something a bit nearer home once settled in.

Have only had one day sight seeing really, went down to Victor Harbour, but finding whole place so far pretty gorgeous.

Hubbie looking longingly at all the fisherman, won't be long in joining them!

And, yes as a scottish couple we cannot believ how freezing it is, only at night though, lovely for us in sunshine!

Looking forward to slowing down now we have the house keys, and cat arriving next week!

Thanks for all the advice that got us here

Gill and Mal xx

Hello,

We have been here two weeks and it has flown by! Although in a weird way it feels like months!

Singapore airlines flights were great, but we weren't allowed to take our duty free whiskey on last leg which we has bought in London even though it was sealed! Very sad hubbie threw away his whisky!

Great holiday rental just where we wanted to be, owned by lovely couple who picked us up at the airport.

Really helpful people have helped us everywhere we have gone with getting medicare cards, drivers licenses etc.

Not so helpful people with one car we have bought but thats another story :wacko:!

As I was starting work a week after arriving, we got a bit stressed about finding a rental, viewed some bloody awful ones, but got the first lovely one we saw, nice three bed villa in Port Noarlunga South, handy for the beach and the bakery where I now have a loyalty card!

Have finished one week of work, would recommend a bit more time off to start if you can afford it, but certainly makes you know you're not on a holiday. Commute in is a bit far, parking rubbish at the hospital, will look for something a bit nearer home once settled in.

Have only had one day sight seeing really, went down to Victor Harbour, but finding whole place so far pretty gorgeous.

Hubbie looking longingly at all the fisherman, won't be long in joining them!

And, yes as a scottish couple we cannot believ how freezing it is, only at night though, lovely for us in sunshine!

Looking forward to slowing down now we have the house keys, and cat arriving next week!

Thanks for all the advice that got us here

Gill and Mal xx

Hi Gill,

thanks for sharing your experiences. We came over for a reccie in July and stayed in Seaford so I know the bakery you mean, lovely flat whites!!! I'm coming over in February to be followed by Hubby later in the year, which hospital did you find work at, I'm starting at Flinders and was wondering about the parking too. Really glad you're enjoying it.

Sharon x

Welcome.Port Noarlunga South is lovely,and will get better for you once summer arrives.We just moved down that way,and TBH find it a relief to be away from the hustle and bustle of the City area.The scenery and ambience are superb.As has just been said though,the winters here are cold of a night,as the houses are often not geared for warmth.Best get prepared for next Winter during the Summer months,heating appliances,burners etc are often half price then,so stock up.

Guest Guest6899

Hiya Gill i was only thinking about you the other day and how you were getting on. Sounds like your getting sorted, im still waiting for AHPRA hopefully will hear next week so i can apply for positions going to look at Flinders. We have a 3 bed rental lined up with a pool in Reynella for the end of Oct but may come a week or two earlier if we can sort things here first. How are you finding the nursing is it more or less the same or different??

Good luck and hopefully we can have a catch up when we arrive.

Lisa x

Oh no, is it really that cold? Surely it can't be anything like the winter we had last year......I was snowed in for 2 weeks and -10 isn't something I want to experience again in a hurry!! We're in process of submitting our visa this week so fingers crossed it all runs smoothly and my hubbie can start his new job early next year. Hope you're settling in well.

Hi

Thanks for the welcomes!

Sharon 69, I'm working at the RAH, Flinders would definetly be closer for me! Heard good things about Flinders, although think there is the usual rivalry between hospitals!

Lisa- would like to meet up with you too, not long till you get here! Nursing and patients seem much the same, although hardly an expert! Just quite a lot of differences in what things are called, and then cos I dont know they seem to think I cant work them! Lots of the system pretty different to, re discharges etc, I'm desperately trying to catch up with it all, but am basically happy at the moment if my patinets survive my shifts!

Oz 4 me, Yes it is cold, but only at night! Our holiday home has really hot heating in two rooms, so that probably makes the bedroom feel even colder! And I thought we were hardy Scots?

Tean- its taking me 35 mins to drive in for an early shift, think will take train for a late shift?

Sarahtwinn82- does your hubbie have any tips re cheap parking at RAH? Or is this just too much to ask?!

Thanks all

Gill x

Hi

Just wondered if they have any care assistance in hospitals , we are due to fly out 10th applied for agency work, I have two NVQs and I have worked in a hospital for 5 years as a senior health care assisant, thought you might know, sounds like you have made a good start at settling in.

Thank you

Kelly

Guest sarahtwinn82

Hubby catches the bus to work or if he's on a late shift he parks on south terrace(free) and trams across to North terrace(also free). There is an 12 month waiting list for a parking permit at the RAH.

Guest sarahtwinn82
Hi

Just wondered if they have any care assistance in hospitals , we are due to fly out 10th applied for agency work, I have two NVQs and I have worked in a hospital for 5 years as a senior health care assisant, thought you might know, sounds like you have made a good start at settling in.

Thank you

Kelly

Hi Kelly, there are no care assistance in Oz. The hospitals purely run on qualifeid nurses. There are however positions called PSA's whom are responsible for cleaning and portering type roles. I think that your NVQ could be useful if you want to be an aged care assistant.

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for that, I am getting my qualifications certified when we arrive, i've enquired and it's equivalent to a certificate 4. I hope I will be able to find work.

Kelly