Secondary school teacher advise please?

Guest Helchops

Guest Helchops

Hi

I am a secondary school teacher and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the rules and regulations on getting a job in Australia, i understand the basics, but does anyone have any information on courses that i will need to attend etc upon arriving in Australia, it would be useful to hear from someone who has gone through the whole process.

I am getting conflicting advise at the moment, but is there any chance i can apply for jobs before my VISA is granted?

Thanks in advance

Carlie

Hi,

When you arrive you will have to prove your qualifications (including having a transcript from your Uni) and it must be either a BEd or PGCE that you have completed. Then you undertake a Mandatory Notification course (which is one day and you will have to pay for this yourself - cost varies approx $125. Also you will need a basic first aid day course similar cost. When all this is done you fill in the forms and pay for your registration (about $250 from memory).

If you want to work for state schools you can then fill out their on-line forms and they can allocate you something if it comes up, other wise you can do relief teaching (suply teaching) and the best way forward with this is to take your c.v. direct to schools.

The private sector is easier in that you can apply for permanent posts, however they generally like to know you a bit and it is a very good idea to do some relief teaching in the schools you like the look of and wait for a perm post or contract to come up.

You wouldn't be able to apply for anything until you have your paperwork, so get it all in place before you come (apart from the courses which have to be done here - Man. Not can be done through Edmund Rice and first aid through Red Cross) there are of course other providers but you could maybe book those from the UK as a starting point.

Hope that helps a bit.

Guest cazzie

Hi Carlie,

I'm back in England and coming out to Adelaide again in December after a year. The previous year, I worked as a secondary school teacher in Christies Beach. Beanbear is correct - they will welcome you if you have a PGCE but if you are GTP qualified teacher (like me), you will have to go to uni in Adelaide and gain a post grad Cert of Education to fulfil their requirements which costs lots of dollars.

Regarding the First Aid - if you join a union (sorry I can't remember what it's called, they will pay for your FA course and possibly the mandated notification course too - so worth looking at teaching unions first.

I think Young Flinny is saying that your CV needs checking for spelling mistakes before you send it out.

I joined an agency - Randstat - and they provided me with a few days work at different schools - Tatachilla was by far the best (IMO). However, I did send my CV out to various local schools and that's how I ended up at Christies Beach on a year long contract - where I loved working.

Good luck!

Guest Adelaide_bound
It's spelt advice.

Should probaby get someone to have a read over of your CV if you're looking to be a teacher.

Good thing then that this is a public forum, where people come to unwind and relax, not be scrutinised by the spelling police, eh? :daydreaming: Oh, and you probably shouldn't pick your nose like that, or scratch your arse - oh, wait, you're in your own home, chillaxing - I forgot, time and place. :SLEEP:

(And if you want to be picky it should be

"You should probably ask someone to read your CV, checking for any spelling errors; it is probably quite important for there to be no spelling errors on a teacher's CV" - your grammar (and punctuation) isn't quite right really, you see :) )

It's spelt advice.

Should probaby get someone to have a read over of your CV if you're looking to be a teacher.

Nah, in all seriousness though it wouldn't harm to do some research on the Aussie Resume and Cover Letter, the typical Australian resume is more detailed than a British one. It's never a bad idea to have some have a read over your CV as we're generally not very good at judging our own work.

And Adelaide_bound, I don't know where to start, they called the Spelling Police "Teachers" back in my day.

Cazzi - what was Christies Beach High like? My brother went there many years ago and it was so so - there was alot of drug problems in the school. Reading on other forums it seems that this still seems to be the case or is that not so? It would be good to hear first hand what it is 'actually like' as e are looking towards the Southern Suburbs to come and live.

Guest Adelaide_bound

And Adelaide_bound, I don't know where to start, they called the Spelling Police "Teachers" back in my day.

Problem is, I can't remember a teacher ever coming home with me to check my actions at home. You're confusing your actions with that of the Gestapo, you know, checking up on completely innocent actions in the so called 'safety' of your own home. But if it makes you feel that little bit more special and bigger than you actually are little man, go for it.