7 weeks in and loving it!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest JayandEm

Guest JayandEm

Hi

Thought I would post a quick update on how we are finding life in SA so far.

We arrived on 6 July and were fortunate to have friends to stay with temporarily in Goolwa (about 90km from the city). The plan was we would spend a couple of weeks with them whilst we sorted ourselves out and then head to somewhere nearer the city. Well, after spending a week or so in Goolwa, we absolutely loved it and decided we would try to find work and settle in the area! It is very quiet but I love being by the river and beach and the coastline along to Victor Harbor is stunning. We're both from Devon originally so are used to being a bit rural! I am a secretary/administrator and after two weeks I found a job in Strathalbyn. Strath is about 35km from Goolwa and only takes 30 minutes door to door in the rush hour - which usually consists of me and about 3 other cars on the road!! I love the drive to and from work through the countryside, although I have seen a few kangaroos bouncing along, which is a worry!! OH put some kangaroo whistles on the car but I don't think it bothers them!! OH is a plumber and has had some casual work but has started today in a more permanent job. He applied for his provisional plumbing licence when we first arrived and this took around 5 weeks to be issued. He has been to TAFE Regency and has been advised he needs to do 3 gap training courses, each course is one week in length. He has also opted to do an LPG course which is also takes a week. We were very lucky to find a house to rent which was previously let as a holiday rental so came completely furnished together with TV, DVD crockery, cutlery - the lot!!! It has river frontage and is only $285 per week, I do wonder though if the rent will be hiked up after our first 6 months (honeymoon period I think they call it) but we'll shall see!

We were suprised how cold the weather was when we first arrived and one of my first buys was a dressing gown and slippers. On average though I would say the weather has been better than we would have had in springtime in England, far less rain and lots more blue sky. The last couple of weeks though have been fab and we've been able to get out walking on the beach on a weekend in shorts and t-shirt!

We have found the Ozzies to be incredibly friendly, welcoming, ougoing, positive, humerous and generous! All in all we have no regrets at all and are very happy that we chose SA!

I leave it at that for now, I could go on and on and on, haha!! :biglaugh:

Glad to see you are liking things over here and that Jay has found a job.

If he needs any help with the TAFE stuff tell him to give me a bell and will try and point him in the correct direction.

Tell him to keep ALL the receipts as you can put them through the tax at the end of the financial year.

Rob and Mel