Diane

Why is politics in this country so negative?

So another policy that has been all over the papers for months now has been shot down in flames at the High Court. Seems like no-one has any answers to any of the problems, and even if the Government try to do something about it, all that happens is there's so much negativity in politics here that they niggle and niggle till the policy is dropped, or changed to something else, which in turn is then criticised to the point of killing it dead, so nothing gets done.

I'm not hugely into politics and find most of them from all parties act like spoilt kids most of the time, but is this normal??!! How can a supposed civilised country be run this way? Everything is so negative, with the nay-sayers spending a fortune on media ads pushing their point of view, and politicians treating a policy like a fait accomplit, before it's even been through the courts, then being at a loss with a plan B when it's rejected there. You couldn't get away with it in business, why can't they run our country a bit better? It's not just the current party in power, it's the whole lot of them, I've seen no viable alternatives put forward by the opposition, just a lot of "they're crap and they know they are" type of stuff. It's all so one-sided and short-sighted.

Honestly, I despair sometimes, I really do.....

Guest Guest5035

To end that thingy that got rejected in the High Court yesterday is quite simple, as soon as they land on Australian land or picked up in Australian waters, take them to the nearest airport put them on the plane and fly them back, no ifs , no buts. They will eventually get the message and not bother. But the doo gooders say no its against their human rights blah blah blah. The amount of money this is costing taxpayers is unbelievable, it would be so much cheaper to do what i said earlier. But the pollies have to be seen to be doing the right thing, they are **** scared of saying what they want to as they will lose all their perks. I agreed with the previous goverments decisions on the boats. Bring back Johnny boy i say. And the people of this country should be more vocal on it aswell, instead of hiding, like few on here about this subject, bring it on...

Stevo

It's in the nature of 2 party politics that each side is negative about everything the opposite side does, regardless of the public good. Neither party here seems to have any great inspiring vision for the future of Australia. A lot of it is all about petty points scoring.

When I lived here in the 90's in the days of Paul Keating, I thought Australian politics was boring. Fast forward to now and it is still boring. One problem is that the Gillard government is only in power thanks to the Greens and a few independents, so they are walking a tightrope. I am amazed that they announced this Malaysia swap deal without having checked that maybe it might get overturned by the senate. Seems very amateur all round (like the roof insulation program).

On a couple of occasions recently (riots and phone hacking), the British parliament has been broadcast live on tv here. A columnist in the Advertiser was so impressed watching it that they commented how lively and healthy the debate was compared with the Australian parliament. Have you ever watched it (Canberra)? It's about as exciting as watching paint dry, proceedings are slow, humourless and very dull. Julia Gillard speaks so slowly and boringly that it sends everyone to sleep. The speaker is like a fussy old school teacher and won't allow any joking or banter - it really is a sorry spectacle compared to Westminster, where the politicians at least have some personality, and there is some intelligence, wit and real debate. In hindsight Paul Keating seems a colourful character....

Juliar might be going!!

It's not as if there's anyone any better waiting in the wings though, is it?

Guest Guest5035

Well you Diane could be PM,

i could be the immigration minister,

Ktee could be the speaker,

Cornish, could be our chauffeur,

Tyke could be the fisheries minister,

Potatie could be Tourism and Education minister

My wife could be Treasurer

anyone else??

Stevo

Don't wanna be PM - I'd have to take the blame for everything then! I want to be Minister for Mining please!

Guest Guest5035

why mining, you like dark places??:wideeyed:

i deffo want immigration:wink:

stevo

Guest Guest5035

but my wife would take it all:biglaugh:being in charge of the treasury

stevo