Guest phoebe27

moving to adelaide!!

Guest phoebe27

Hi, my family and I (partner and two children) are moving to Adelaide next year. We have got no idea where are the best areas to settle for families with good schools, parks, etc. I have read that Noarlunga Beach and Aldinga Beach are nice, but, other than that we have no idea. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated?

Hi Phoebe

Adelaide will not disappoint you - its a great family place. We came over here 4 years ago with our two daughters ages 7 & 10. We first lived in Seaford Rise, which is close to Moana Beach and has great parks within the houses...but have since moved to Moana - to be closer to the beach!

Moana is a great family place, lots of parks and public bbqs and a beautiful beach...... I have some photos on our website if you want to have alook.

THe other places you mentioned are also great for young families - they are all quite similar,

Good luck with the rest of your plans!!

Sarahx

Guest Django

Sorry to be less than helpful but where to live here is totally a personal thing. We came over thinking that Hallet Cove would be where we would settle but on arrival and seeing places first hand we.liked Woodcroft along with the primary school that we would never be sending our children too. :D Other people's opinions are fine but they willean nothing once you are here. When you get here take the first week out to drove around seeing what each area can offer you. Visit as many schools, parks, etc before you look for your first long term rental.Pete

Guest phoebe27

Thanks so much for the feedback guys, it really does help us loads. Any more advice on Adelaide would be greatly appreciated! Does anyone know what the best areas in Western Adelaide, Eastern and North Adelaide are for us to have a browse at? cheers

Guest Jane & Tony

Is there any way you can go over for a recce for a couple of weeks? The place is so big and I would not know where to start if we hadn't been over first.

We spent most of our time in the northern subs as oh's Mum and Dad lived there. Not sooo close to the beach tho' and you may want that with kids.

Hillbank is a nice area and Salisbury but we did not like Elizabeth very much. There are two large shopping malls on the main north road and a B&Q type place. If you want to go out further, Gawler is a lovely town (looks like an American cowboy town). It is quite far out tho'.

Like I said, do try to go over for a 'look'. You will find it invaluable and you'll be able to question the locals.

You have:

The Beach

The City

The Hills

The Suburbs

The wine region

And soooo much more to choose from

Good Luck

There is ALWAYS and answer to any question that you can think of on here xx

Guest phoebe27

Thanks Jane for your post, unfortunately no we cannot come over for a recce, i really wish we could as like you say it would be fantastic. It's so hard trying to find the right place to live in a city we have never been to. But, were not complaining, we know how lucky we are to be able to come so will just keep on looking and i'm sure we will eventually find the right place. Must admit, we are pretty drawn to looking near the beach. where are the best areas to look?

Guest Jane & Tony

Sorry Phoebe

I don't really know a lot about the beaches as we only went to one at Glenelg (which was beautiful). Try and get a short term rental or holiday let for a few weeks when you arrive, then you won't be tied to a long term that you might not like. That will give you plenty of time to look around. xx

There are lots of nice places in all directions out from the centre of Adelaide, so it really all comes down to where you might be working. Don't limit yourself too much before you've got that sorted out by choosing a place that is a long way in any one direction - it's better to rent short term as centrally as possible to start with, sort out jobs, then sort out schools and a place to live. Some schools have catchment areas so if you find one that suits you, you'll need to find a place to live within that. The journey to and from work is the one you'll be doing day in, day out, so that should be your deciding factor. Even if you think a 45 min/hour commute each day is acceptable, you may find some employers will not consider you for a job if that will be your travel time. Right or wrong, that's the way it is.

Guest phoebe27

Thanks Diane, that makes perfect sense. Finding a good school that my son will be happy at is my biggest concern, I really don't want to get him settled and then find we want to move. we are just trying to do as much research as we possible can before we come over. My daughter will be 4 when we make the move so not at school age. Huge thanks to everyone who has posted a reply on here, it really does help. Cheeers all. Any more feedback/advice greatly appreciated.

Guest Benny Hill

ANDAMOOKA is fabolous during the summer. Especially if you love the heat and love wide open spaces:wink:

Try checking out some of these - a good mixture of sea, hills and city

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/in-depth/adelaide-liveable-suburb

We personally are heading for southern suburbs on the edge of the hills (and 20 mins from the beaches and Westfield shopping Mall) + good transport links to the CBD if we don't want to drive.

We prefer being up higher to get summer breezes and views and still be near enough to the sea to enjoy beach walking. We are pensioners so our priorities are different. We would like to be within 20 mins drive of our daughter and her family

Look at different areas for yourselves. If your house has a pool you may not need to be so close to the beach. There are plenty of parks and good schools all over Adelaide so perhaps job opportunities/availability should be your first priority.

Guest shella_n

I agree with dianne. When we were in the uk I narrowed down the places that we wanted to live on the basis of the schools - we ended up not living in any of those shirtlisted areas ( due to certain circa which were beyond our control when we got here). There are very few bad areas. I wouldn't rule anything out at this stage - most of us Brits automatically head for thd beaches but the hills are beautiful too and have some fantastic schools too.

If I were doing it all over again now I would narrow down to a few suburbs ( based on schools, affordability, distance to potential work place etc) in the south, some in the north too and some in the hills so you sample a bit of everything when u get here.

Good luck with all your plans

I think Benny Hill......is a bit of a joker...... :biglaugh: Andamooka is fabulous but about 600kms from Adelaide so might be a bit of a hike...not sure about the schools though.....

There are a lot of nice beaches around Adelaide. Glenelg is lovely and quite a tourist beach, very popular in the warmer months. Henley Beach is also the same. Grange is popular too but not quite as much as Glenelg and Henley so might be a good place. Seacliff and Brighton are also good - these are all swimming beaches. We have some that look great and you can paddle your feet but are a bit rocky, so not for swimming. Staying close to those areas will be expensive to rent but if you look somewhere that is just in the next suburb and may be a few minutes extra walk to the beach that may be your best bet. For example Fulham Gardens is the next suburb over from Henley Beach so not that far to walk or drive to.

Guest guest3462

Diane hit the nail on the head! We live in the southern suburb of aldinga beach which is a lovely safe feeling suburb, but Rich has an hours drive each way every day into the city, which he doesnt mind but once he gets his consultancy he will have to do overnight on calls every week which will mean a hotel in the city every week!!!(Eek!!)

Living at the beach is great, but most areas are only a short drive from a beach anyway and to be honest its quite rare that we would actually walk down to the beach anyway as they are drive on beaches.

We are about to up sticks into the hills hopefully (to a house with a pool and a seaview) if things go our way next week, but only into Willunga so not that far away really, but it will mean that the kids can walk to school and Rich can walk home form the pub instead of paying out a fortune on fuel and taxis!! :-)

Guest phoebe27

wow thanks everyone, got up this morning to find all these replies which is brilliant. i had a look at amandooka and realised how far it was Kris!!! hehe, benny hill is definitely a wind up :wink:. i will definitely have a look at the website thanks jtct. brilliant advice from all and really appreciated, i am going to be busy looking at all these fantastice places to live in Adelaide. Just cant wait to check them out for ourselves now. We had a viewer on our house yesterday so fingers crossed!!

are the suburbs in the hills expensive? also how far from the city are they?

Guest Benny Hill

Whyalla and Ceduna and even Port Augusta are all lovely during the summer they offer a fantastic lifestyle much better than Blighty especially if your from Manchester.....anywhere is better than Manchester.....Wolf Creek is also a brilliant place with its award winning winery...... you would love it there........and if you wanna really go up market Elizabeth is worth a serious look.......Oh did anyone mention the crime rate here ...just thought it might be worth mentioning........Aparantley the worlds most unsolved murder's per head of population......go go go SA gotta be famous for something......see you can gettaway with murder here.......:tongue:

Guest Benny Hill
    me thinks benny hill is a bit of a knob !!!

Thats a bit harsh comming from someone who has only been here 3 weeks

Do you have you Citenzanship yet or are you still eligible for depotation......

Ill be looking for you when i get back to work on Monday at the Immigration Office

Ill have a real good nosey through your file and see how er can get you straight back too Blighty.....

Shiver in the cold you nasty pommies......:shocked:

Guest Jennet

benny Hill such a saddo, get a grip and if you think you know everything WHY THE HELL are you on here!!:huh:

Thats a bit harsh comming from someone who has only been here 3 weeks

Do you have you Citenzanship yet or are you still eligible for depotation......

Ill be looking for you when i get back to work on Monday at the Immigration Office

Ill have a real good nosey through your file and see how er can get you straight back too Blighty.....

Shiver in the cold you nasty pommies......:shocked:

Ha Ha

have a go mate . on a pr visa

if i was you i would have a good look at yourself , you wouldnt pass the ielts tests looking at your spellings

sort your self out

Guest Peachie

Hhahahahahaha poor Benny needs to go back to school works in the imo office!!! pipe dream while flippin burgers lol xx but a least he has a dream and has a laugh others could learn from his example and chill out x

now back to the OP I have researched most of the beachside suburbs and my favs were grange and west lakes shore on ease of getting to work, schools and affordability (when compared to glenelg) the far south were too difficult for me for travel but fav southen area was brighton and I also looked at the next suburb inland for affordability options and range of housing hope that helps

We live in Ethelton, and absolutely love it. Trains are close by as are lots of bus stops too. Semaphore is five minutes away, and West Lakes the same. We feel we have found the ideal spot for us, but I would agree with everyone else - get a short term rental, and look for somewhere that is within easy reach of where you are gonna work.