Guest casobelle

St John's Grammar, Adelaide

Guest casobelle

Hi, I'm trying to find a primary school for my 5 yr old daughter. I've been recommended St John's Grammar by my prospective employer - his kids and his colleague's son go there. I've had a look at the website, which surprisingly says v positive things, but I'd appreciate some feedback from parents in Adelaide on the best schools academically. Although my daughter's young, she's very bright and has reading age of 11. I need somewhere for her which is going to challenge her academically. Public or private, I just want the best place. Thanks :-)

My 2 Grandchildren are going to St Johns Grammer and are now aged 7 & 9. They seem to be doing pretty well at school, although the 7 year old tends not to like it and plays up a bit. He has recently been put on a good behavior period at school, which seems to be working. However I think it is quite a lot of money for the parents to pay, which gets progressively more expensive as they move through their education in Senior School.

Guest Bodie

St John's has a very good reputation and is highly regarded. However so do all of the DECs schools in this area - don't discount them without having a look around - Belair, Hawthorndene, Eden Hills and Blackwood ( all up the hill) Mitcham down the hill. The non government schools are also very good Mercedes college (r-12), Scotch college (r-12) similar fee structure to St John's; St Joseph's Kingswood, St Raphael's Goodwood plus many other smaller schools. Please feel free to PM me for any further information as I am very familiar, in a professional way with many schools in this area. Good luck. Bodie.

Guest Sachertorte
    St John's has a very good reputation and is highly regarded. However so do all of the DECs schools in this area - don't discount them without having a look around - Belair, Hawthorndene, Eden Hills and Blackwood ( all up the hill) Mitcham down the hill. The non government schools are also very good Mercedes college (r-12), Scotch college (r-12) similar fee structure to St John's; St Joseph's Kingswood, St Raphael's Goodwood plus many other smaller schools. Please feel free to PM me for any further information as I am very familiar, in a professional way with many schools in this area. Good luck. Bodie.

We are in Glenalta and agree with you Bodie- the standard of state schools here seems very good. Very good community and committed parents around this area.

Previously in St John's but found it was just ok for us.

Rachiegarlo also is very au fait with this topic and posted about St John's. Try a search

Hope this helps.

Edited by Sachertorte

St John's grammar does not really have the same fee structure as Scotch. Only similarity is that the fees do increase with each year level. For yr 12 at Scotch it is approx $ 21000 a year now , whereas St John's is approx $13000 a year. There are state primary schools which cater very well for kids with advanced abilities and have programmes in place. All private schools on their websites will look wonderful, that is their job and many employ PR people to promote the school. St John's is well thought of and the primary section is known for good educational practice, whether it suits you and your child is another matter. Most private schools will allow your child to spend a day there before you sign on the dotted line. Also consider where you are going to live. There are some other good stand alone private primary schools. St Peters Woodlands at Glenelg fees are about $5000 a year and St Andrews at Walkerville which is more expensive. Annesley College in Wayville is becoming a coed Junior school next year, but it is going to be small to begin with. It has a nice atmosphere and your daughter would certainly have attention from the teachers. All these 3 schools have lovely grounds. Linden Park primary and Burnside primary are also very good if you are going to live over on the Eastern side. Maybe think what exactly you want from your child's school and then go looking. Also read any newsletters online to get an inside feel for how the children are celebrated in an ordinary week and what they have been up to, not just the selling hype. Then when you have a shortlist wait until you come, and have a visit, go with your gut feeling for the right one, it's probably the right choice.

Guest casobelle

Thanks for the advice, guys. I've had a look at the websites of some of the public schools. I think Hawthorndene looks really good. Anyone who has any more info on Hawthorndene, please let me know. Seems like this would be one of the more affordable areas for us as well. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who lives there.

My grandchildren live in that area and, although they looked at St John's and thought it was a great school, they decided to send them to the state school at Coromandel Valley. The oldest one (just turned 8) is being 'pushed' and given extra work as she is very bright and the younger one started in January and is doing really well (she is the youngest in her class but quite near the top) They both love this school and I've been impressed when we've visited (just had grandparents day there - shame we missed it)

Guest casobelle

Thanks again for the replies! I was just wondering - St Peter's Lutheran, Blackwood looks like a lovely school but no one has mentioned it as one to recommend. Anyone know any parents whose kids go there? I'd love to hear some first-hand experiences before I meet with the Principal in December. Keeping my options open at present!