Guest Guest5035

Snakes alive

Guest Guest5035

For those that have a "untidy" garden or live close to a reserve, then this weekend will be time to clean it up and be snake aware. The weather is slowly warming up and so are the snakes. They will be out over the next few weeks waking up from their deep sleep.

stevo

Might tie a stick of cinnamon round their necks then! OH says if either of them get bitten, he's not shelling out $1,000 for treatment again!

Guest Guest75

Yep,good advice. The lizards have been out sunning themselves already.

Guest Ric & Paula

Can't keep the pups from under the Rumpus room,OH has 5 days off,got a job for him!!

Question: Are Australian snakes like australian people then? can't cope if it's less than 20deg? ;)

In all seriousness, I would have thought that it's warm enough here in winter that snakes would still be active (admittedly less so than in summer). I thought it was only when it got really cold (less than 5-10deg) that the snakes would stay home (or wherever they go when it's cold)

Guest Guest5035
    Question: Are Australian snakes like australian people then? can't cope if it's less than 20deg? ;)

In all seriousness, I would have thought that it's warm enough here in winter that snakes would still be active (admittedly less so than in summer). I thought it was only when it got really cold (less than 5-10deg) that the snakes would stay home (or wherever they go when it's cold)

In Adelaide it does get down to less than 5/10oc.

stevo

Guest cornish Busdriver

If ya do find a snake just leave it aloan as it will probably bugger off when it see's you anyway or call the council who will send out a snake handler.

Please don't try to play with them or try to kill them cause if they get there teeth into you, you will be the one in trouble

In Adelaide it does get down to less than 5/10oc.

stevo

On the odd night, yes it has got down to less than 5/10C, I'd still expect them to be out and about during the day. The lowest day time temp was 13.6 in august, and 11 in July.

Guest Squareman

Aussie snakes don't hibernate in the true sense of the word. They just become much less active and don't come out of their burrows/hidey-holes when its cold or there is no sun. On a sunny winter's day, a snake will defo come out and grab some sun.

Tyke's advice is best. Don't bother them and they won't bother you.