carla&trev

Moana surf club - registration day

Hello fellow Poms!

I am the Secretary at Moana SLSC and I thought I would notify you of a couple of changes to our membership pricing and when our Registration Day is.

Registration Day is Saturday 15th October 2011 and is for new and existing members. It kicks off at 10am and there will be a BBQ and also a Bronze exam happening on the same day, which should be interesting to have a gander at! Actually, my hubby Trev is doing it!

Nippers is for children aged 5 to 13 years, with 5 & 6 year olds being part of our Mini Moes program. The membership pricing is as follows:-

Nippers (U6 & U7) - $40.00 (one parent must join also)

Nippers (U8 to U14) - $80.00

Family (2 adults + dependents under 18 years) - $250.00

Adult General member - $90.00

Adult Supporter member - $40.00

If anyone would like more information please don't hesitate to contact me.

Cheers

Carla

I remember those days of Nippers at Port Noarlunga and I stil have the trophies and I think the Pendants...........aahhh memories! Anyway does Port Noarlunga still have a SLSC?

I remember those days of Nippers at Port Noarlunga and I stil have the trophies and I think the Pendants...........aahhh memories! Anyway does Port Noarlunga still have a SLSC?

sure does, a brand spanking new one...just re opened along with a new restaurant and kiosk for the summer

Jo

My name used to be on one of the boards they had up if remember rightly. There was a woman there who took me under her wing and i think her name was Jane (Joan) Whiteside I think but she was great a really nice lady and I had loads of respect for her. She did loads for the club back in the 70's. Did you know a couple of the members were in the film Storm Boy?

Hi what kind of things do you do at the club, am thinking of joining as have an 8th old boy who needs more activities to do.Lisa

Hi what kind of things do you do at the club, am thinking of joining as have an 8th old boy who needs more activities to do.Lisa

They do sprints, flags (sprinting and diving in the sand for a flag, with one less than the number of racers), wades, racing around the edge of the water (great fun), boards, sea swim (if they pass the swim test). They also do a little theory and they can compete at carnivals.

We'll have three down at Moana this year and the eldest two love it.

Moana is a great place to be in the summer,

Cooler

Do I need to register all of us, family of 4 or just Mason as he will be joining in the races. Me and dad will be cheering and raising a few to the winners.

lisa

Do I need to register all of us, family of 4 or just Mason as he will be joining in the races. Me and dad will be cheering and raising a few to the winners.

lisa

If he's 8, then you don't need to join. There are some advantages in you joining in that you can vote at meetings and have a real say on what happens within the club. The fees have been reduced to make them more reasonable. There maybe more advantages in adult membership, such as using the bar etc.

Cooler

Hi

I seem to have been missing the notifications that messages had been posted, so sorry for the delay!!

Yep, as cooler says, as an 8 year old, he will be doing sprints, flags, wades, swim and boards. Under 9s begin competing at carnivals too, which takes their activity to the next level if they choose but they are not compulsory. We have lots of children that do not have a desire to compete.

Also, as Cooler says, we have reduced the membership fees this year to make us more competitive and with an Under 9, a parent does not have to join. However, we would love it if parents did join and we've added the Supporter membership which costs only $40 to entice more parents to join and be part of the Club. We would like to think that parents would also like to become involved in the active side, such as doing their bronze medallion, advanced resus etc etc. We always joined as a family even though it was only the girls doing nippers as we wanted to be part of the Club and put money in. :)

Our family joined in 2008 and we didn't get involved in the first or second years but by the third year we wanted to be more involved and took on managing the bar. My husband and I also decided to do our Advanced Resus Techniques Certificate so that we can patrol as lifesavers. My husband has now took that a step further and is doing his Bronze Medallion. I will do my Bronze Medallion but maybe not this year.

If there is anything else you would like to know, please give me a call. My number is 0433 915 550.

I hope to see you on Registration Day.

Cheers

Carla

I think that General members can use the changing/shower facilities in the club pavilion. Worth getting family membership then, depending on the number and age of kids. The bar prices are also reduced.

The cafe is now open for some times and I'll post these when I know them. The club is having a new website designed so you can contact on there, or contact Carla. The cafe is certainly open Friday tea time, Saturdays and Sunday as well. I will try and get the times as the food is really good and well priced. As the season starts, the cafe will be open far more.

Cooler.

Hi

As it happens, the website went live about one hour ago. We still need to add some stuff but the main bulk of it is up there and available.

The address is:

http://www.moanaslsc.com.au

With regards to the current cafe opening hours, they are:

Wed to Fri 11am to 3pm

Friday eves from 6pm (last meal orders 8.30pm)

Saturdays/Sundays - Breakfast from 8am to about 3pm

As Cooler said, these times will extend as the weather gets warmer. :)

Cheers

Carla

Guest Helchops

Are there teachers/instructors there? I like the idea of getting into surfing, but all I hear is, 'if you don't grow up with it, you'll never be any good' is that a true statement do you think?

Are there teachers/instructors there? I like the idea of getting into surfing, but all I hear is, 'if you don't grow up with it, you'll never be any good' is that a true statement do you think?

Hi,

Surf Life Saving Clubs don't generally teach surfing (most don't that I know). I have never surfed but know a few people who have taken it up in their late forties and they are excellent. They do spend every spare minute they can surfing, so I reckon that you'd need to practise a fair bit.

There are plenty of surf schools around, weekends and in the summer evenings.

Cooler

Hello fellow Poms!

I am the Secretary at Moana SLSC and I thought I would notify you of a couple of changes to our membership pricing and when our Registration Day is.

Registration Day is Saturday 15th October 2011 and is for new and existing members. It kicks off at 10am and there will be a BBQ and also a Bronze exam happening on the same day, which should be interesting to have a gander at! Actually, my hubby Trev is doing it!

Nippers is for children aged 5 to 13 years, with 5 & 6 year olds being part of our Mini Moes program. The membership pricing is as follows:-

Nippers (U6 & U7) - $40.00 (one parent must join also)

Nippers (U8 to U14) - $80.00

Family (2 adults + dependents under 18 years) - $250.00

Adult General member - $90.00

Adult Supporter member - $40.00

If anyone would like more information please don't hesitate to contact me.

Cheers

Carla

Hi Carla

We are moving to Moana from the UK on 7th Jan. We have heard such great things about the surf and would love for our 5 year old to join.

Would we be able to enrol him in January? or should we enrol him now?

Thank you for your help.

Nicki

Hi Nicki

Sure, you can join at any time throughout the season. You are also permitted to do two 'Come and Try' sessions to see what you think, you just have to sign a waiver for insurance purposes at the beginning of each session.

Look forward to meeting you in January some time! It'll be hot, hot, hot then so bring lots of sun cream!!

Cheers

Carla

Guest guest569

For a 5 yr old i wouldn't recomend nippers. vacswim would have been ideal as its more suited to the younger ones and is a 2 week course for basic beach awareness !! looks like you will just miss the start date but could still go down and have a look for next time.

Nippers for up till 7 yr olds is very much play in the sand at all the clubs. http://www.vacswimsa.com/

Thank you for your help.

Nicki

Guest graandjac

As a member of another.....lol Surf club and heavely involved .....so rather than start a ours is better then theres thread.....:wink:.

Its good to try out a few of the registration days as the different clubs all have a VERY different feel to them, a top tip for anyone wanting to get involved is .....get involved dont just take the kids down and then sit on the beach, all the clubs are ran by unpaid members as are the lifesavers, and helping out is the best way to meet new people. You can put as much time into it as you want, I feel like ive got a second job at the moment club house manager, bar manager and Parient liasion officer.......

And then for the really keen ones as Karla has said doing your Bronze will earn you a heap of respect within in any club and putting in a few patrol hours it what it all about.

For the new arrivals dont under estimate the rips and currents on the beaches, so even if compeating is not for your kids nippers is a great way of making your kids beach safe.......and its all about FUN.

P.S.....come on the spurs......lol

Hi

With all due respect, that may have been the case in the past but Mini Moes (U6s & U7s) is changing this year. We are bringing it into line with how they conduct it on the east coast. They will be mini nippers and will participate in activities such as flags, wade, sprints and for fun do some body boarding!

Please feel free to come along and have a look to see whether it would be suitable. :)

Cheers

Carla

Guest guest569

Thats a great news for the kids, It will get them ready for the under 9 carnivals.i can only comment on my own experiences in the past with my daughter at Moana ,which was play in the sand up until under 7, wades and bodysurf until under 8 and then all of a sudden your an under 9 and expected to swim 200 meters around the cans and compete for your club !!!!

good luck with the new training techniques and the coming season !!!:wink:

Guest graandjac

why did I know this would happen....!!!! your right....... all of our age groups have been compeating and taking part in all events including the swim for some years......................but remember the two key words kids+fun.........

Exactly guys....Passionate Pom, you are absolutely right, that has been the case in the past and we have had many 'complaints' about Minis being boring - that's why it's time to change it and make it more fun for them.

Having said that, some kids are happy playing in the sand!!! It's about getting the balance right I guess.

Let's hope we all, whichever surf club you are part of, has a great season (and summer!).

Carla

Hi guys,

I have been given the role of sponsorship officer at MOANA SURF CLUB and hope that this year can be a good year for gaining sponsors.

So if any of you lovely people have a business and would like to sponsor our amazing club then please give me a shout to discuss what the club can offer you in return. Remember this is for our kids, us and the community, surf clubs help to keep us safe on the beach.

I am not looking for thousands from each sponsor (unless you are offering of course:wink:) but maybe a small amount from

several sponsors which would really help to keep our amazing club going from strength to strength.

Hope to hear from you all soon

Heidi x. :jiggy: