IrishStew

Earthquakes

What about earthquakes!

I have seen some reports that there could be a big(ish) one, and that many buildings in SA are not built to withstand one :-O

- is this true of post 1950s houses?

- are there (good) standards in place for new builds?

It wouldn't put me of coming to SA, but would make me think about the type of house to buy.

What's your thoughts

IrishStew (OH).

Why worry about earthquakes????, its the spiders and snakes thast will kill ya!!!!

You could buy a well built house that is totally earthquake proof and get run over by a bus or burned in a bush fire. or captured by aliens come to think of it!!!

Your more likely to die on the way to the airport, so I wouldn't worry too much about the earthquakes.
    afer

Nah - I know, it's like flying, safer than my short car journey. I'm more interested in the building code standards.

Hey Misplaced, do ya not know, the Aliens already got me just after the guys in white coats!:biglaugh:

Guest Guest5035
    Didn't even know Adelaide suffered with quakes:arghh:

Only when all the obese people are out and about...:wideeyed:

Stevo

Guest Jane & Tony
    Only when all the obese people are out and about...:wideeyed:

Stevo

That's me out then!!!!!!!!!!!! Careful what you write :biglaugh:

Guest Guest5035

nah............ theres fat and theres........... kin fat:biglaugh:

stevo

Guest Adelaide_bound

I thought the fault line was well away fron Australia - then curved up to NZ, which is why they get hundreds of quakes a week (and unfortunately the odd very big one like in Christchurch), but didn't think Aus got them at all?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ypalM7eSBEQ/SdzT_ajylVI/AAAAAAAAAbM/XNB1-z6lvKg/s1600-h/tectonic_map.jpg

Apart from the volcano at Mt Gambier - although didn't think that was going to blow either?

Guest welshboy

We had an Earthquake a few years ago (april i think) 11.30pm on a friday night so we do get them

anyway a report on Today Tonight last year claimed there are fault lines all across Adelaide and one goes right through where there are building the new hospital so they must be thinking nothing will happen........ or do they?????

Guest lippy

There's a fault line that runs through Flinders hospital, Sheidow Park, Hallett Cove into the sea, turns south and heads out around about Aldinga - that's one I know about but there will be others. I believe that last bad shift was over 30yrs ago but there was one in the Northern suburbs a couple of years ago - small but one all the same.

I thought the fault line was well away fron Australia - then curved up to NZ, which is why they get hundreds of quakes a week (and unfortunately the odd very big one like in Christchurch), but didn't think Aus got them at all?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ypalM7eSBEQ/SdzT_ajylVI/AAAAAAAAAbM/XNB1-z6lvKg/s1600-h/tectonic_map.jpg

Apart from the volcano at Mt Gambier - although didn't think that was going to blow either?

:wideeyed:An article in AdelaideNow stated - SA experienced a 5.5 magnitude quake in 1954 that caused $70 million damage across Adelaide.

It doesn't really bother me ,:nah: but it will influence me to buy a more modern house.

Any way it's you guys that need to worry as Stevo says there will be an earthquake when big guys like me arrive:biglaugh:

IrishStew (OH)

Guest Adelaide_bound

Interesting, cheers guys - despite being in charge of Geography, I'm pants at it lol (Subject co-ordination in primary school never ceases to amaze me!). Oh well, when its your time, its your time - agree with you Irishstew about it informing housing choices, although surely the older style house is actually better in general, because the wood 'bends' slightly whereas concrete just breaks and you get a broken house to fix - if its *really* big, everything falls down anyways.....(was watching an interesting episode of 'Grand Designs Down Under' where they were lifting up an old 1880s house and building another floor underneath it and pointed out that they only reason they could do it was because it was built of wood entirely, and therefore had loads of bend in it, allowing it to withstand the shudders etc of winching it up bit by bit).

But I know nothing about housing either - but I do like fluffy kittens though (hehehe) :tongue:

Guest Jane & Tony

Wooden houses-white ant

steel houses-eathquakes.

go figure