Wirreanda High School

Guest Emilymae

I have to agree with Django. I have heard some horror stories of parents who have withdrawn their children from there. Not because of the standards of teaching...but the anti social behaviour by others. Would be very interesting to hear from anyone who sends their kids there...I am sure there are 2 sides to every story.

Guest doje6863

We sent our two girls there. The teachers are great but the bad behaviour of many of kids was overwhelming. The head of year advised us to withdraw our girls, which we did. real shame, because I felt the teachers were really dedicated to improving the school and its future.

My daughter went to Wirreanda High School with no problems from 2005 and graduated at the end of 2009. Some of the teachers were fantastic, some not so great (just like any school). You will hear good and bad about most schools. My friend's daughter went to Reynella East High School and she told me some hair-raising stories about behaviour there and yet a lot of people say that's a great school. My boss's son went to an expensive private school and was bullied until his parents withdrew him and sent him to the local public school. There's an element of idiots in all schools and it's very hard to decide when there are everyone's different opinions.

Guest Emilymae

We have decided to not use this school but possibly Reynella East High School, Willunga High School or Hallet Cove High School as these get really good write ups and look like great schools

thanks for all your comments

looking forward to getting to Adelaide, only 5 days to go...

Emily

Guest Emilymae
Oh! I know that you will be really busy when you arrive but if you remember and get the time would you mind letting me know what you think of Williunga High, please? We are thinking of sending our 2 boys there when we arrive in July 2012.

Will do if we decide to go with that school or if we find out any information about it!!!

Emily

Guest loopylisa

Its really strange but I lived in Reynella for 10 years and I mentioned this school to my mum and neither she nor I were aware of its existence! I went to mitcham girls high school and you can bus from the southern suburbs to there. (S bus runs along the main south road covering reynella and morphett vale)

p.s. I notice you said 5 days to go? are you flying out Sat as I am flying Sat :biggrin:

my friends daughter goes to willunga High and she is doing really well, thats the school that my kids will be going too when we move out there next year. it has a good reputation

There is a rankings table website, not all schools are included but at least it appears something more credible to go on than opinions.

http://bettereducation.com.au/school/secondary/sa/sa_secondary_school_rating.aspx

My partners children go to Wirreanda, and it seems to a good job, lots of communication, texting parents for lateness or absentism, diaries for homework etc.. They really help parents get involved. All schools could do this though.

From my partners youngest, a 15 year old son, he has friends from all over the area, some english, some Aussie, and they all seem to get on ok.

I think because of the socio-economic groups in Morphett Vale it will always struggle to get really great results, but when i went to my partners daughters graduation ceremony at the local theatre there were plenty of year 12's who did well and was planning to go to Uni, and the guest speaker was a former student who went on to start a law firm.

Purely from hearsay I understand it is one of the better schools for sports, but just not sure how true that is.

Guest BAZnDAF

Hi,

Our daughter (16) has been at Wirreanda for 4 weeks now and loves it. She has made some really good friends and the teachers are quite strict. A week after she started there was a misunderstanding about a careers day where she thought she did not have to go to school (as it happens she did), the school contacted us by text to ask why she was not there and we received 2 subsequent texts and she received a dressing down from her Home Group teacher.

Wirreanda has had some bad press but I guess it's the same as every school, a few unruly kids spoil it for the rest.