Guest cunnah10

are rabbits & guinea pigs popular pets in oz?

Guest cunnah10

Hi

having already re homed the family dog to my aunt as we were told by the vet it would be too much of an ordeal to take her with us due to how timid and nervous she was travelling 5 mins in a car let alone 24hrs on a plane my kids are giving me a terrible time as they miss her so much but as the opportunity came up i thought better to part with her now so they had a chance to get over it.I have also rehomed their guinea pigs and still have 2 remaining rabbits to find homes for which my daughter is an emotional wreck the thought of them going to somebody else and she will never see them again(think she'll be more upset saying goodbye to them than family).I have promised that once we are settled in Adelaide we will be able to get another pet!I know dogs and cats are obviously popular but not sure if rabbits and guinea pigs are as popular as pets(especially when they fed guinea pigs to the dingoes infront of us in one of the wildlife parks on our recent visit there much to the horror of my 4 kids).Could anybody help as i don't want to make promises to the kids if i can't keep them.Maybe due to the heat and attracting flies with dirty hutches that these pets may not be ideal in oz?

Sorry for daft question but not so daft to the kids!

Gill

Guest Matt & Suzi

Please tell me the Guinea pigs weren't alive when fed to the Dingo's

Guest cunnah10
    Please tell me the Guinea pigs weren't alive when fed to the Dingo's

Hi Must admit i did think that they were alive at first but they were actually dead!Don't know who or how they had been killed as i asked why they were being fed and was it usual for dingoes to be fed guinea pigs!The reply was somebody had "donated" them as unwanted pets!!!!This was the first time"apparently!" that the dingoes in that park had been fed them!We watched in horror as they ripped them to bits!fluffy white fur still on!Just looked asleep!Was horrible!

Gill

Guest Richard & Amanda

Hiya,

We have a rabbit that we are trying to rehome!

I was under the impression rabbits in Oz were considered to be vermin.

I don't think they keep them as pets - though I stand to be corrected!!!!

Guest cunnah10
    Hiya,

We have a rabbit that we are trying to rehome!

I was under the impression rabbits in Oz were considered to be vermin.

I don't think they keep them as pets - though I stand to be corrected!!!!

hi thanks for reply!maybe best not make any "promises" to kids that they can all have new pet rabbits when we get settled!wouldn't be fair on them!when are you going to re home your bunny!my 2 are so tame mother and daughter and love being house rabbits now that i have brought them indoors for the winter!worry where they will end up but got no choice will try my best to find a loving home and keep them together!

Guest cockney lass

I've seen both rabbits and guinea pigs in pet shops, over here, so you shouldn't have a problem getting either. :)

Hi there

I had heard this too about the rabbits and guinea pigs but they were certainly selling them in the pet shop today when I went in, along with mice, rats, birds and dogs and cats (its an ordeal walking past a pet shop with children in Australia!). I dont know whether I am making this up but or if I have read it somewhere but would rabbits and guinea pigs kept outside attract snakes? I know that chickens do - Just a thought!

Lindsey

Guest donna T

I asked one of my Aussie friends today and they have rabbitts and guinea pigs ina cage in their garden. For some reason she keeps them in a cage on wheels but I forgot to ask the significance of this:wacko:

Guest cunnah10
    Hi there

I had heard this too about the rabbits and guinea pigs but they were certainly selling them in the pet shop today when I went in, along with mice, rats, birds and dogs and cats (its an ordeal walking past a pet shop with children in Australia!). I dont know whether I am making this up but or if I have read it somewhere but would rabbits and guinea pigs kept outside attract snakes? I know that chickens do - Just a thought!

Lindsey

Thanks for reply!I agree thinking about it rabbits or guinea pigs would attract many unwanted creatures that i would want to live without!Imagine a nice slippery snake coming along and eating them up the kids would be hysterical!!Spiders another issue and then there's the dam flies with smelly hutches!

Think we will forget that idea!Maybe a nice pussycat instead!

Gill

Guest cunnah10
    I asked one of my Aussie friends today and they have rabbitts and guinea pigs ina cage in their garden. For some reason she keeps them in a cage on wheels but I forgot to ask the significance of this:wacko:

Cheers Donna for asking!I have had 2nd thoughts as thinking about it i may attract some unwanted visitors : flies,spiders and god forbid a hungry snake!Rethinking on a pet pussycat now!

Gill