bruce n sheila

Rental property reference

Well the time is upon us where we need to be looking for a place to live.

We have been looking and know we must provide some sort of pack. But what would you typically have in these packs?

Likewise, the reference from a previous landlord. As many will know you didn't have such things in England, so we are having to get our old land lady from the UK to write us one. But, what would the estate agents / owners really need and like to see. I am guessing it will be like how clean and well looked after the property was, what we were like with rent payments, will we need to ask her to include anything else, or something more specific?

Unfortunately we have not been able to find work yet so i guess this could be a major hurdle, but how did others get over this issue without work in the past? Yep, offering a number of months rent up front, but how did that get included in your pack, did you write a letter or other?

We are also going to ask her to comment about our little doggie.

Guest boesman

Great question and also waiting for the answers. We have a terrible stingy landlord and we have complained loads and had to endure terrible living conditions, but it all fell on deaf ears. HOpefully they won't give us a bad report. What if someone lived in their own home? Would a morgage statement alone do?

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

We own our own home so reference from a landlord is out but I had thought a mortgage statement, plus I work from home as a childminder so was thinking of asking the parent to write a reference about the house being in good condition, clean and well looked after etc. Hoping that plus an offer of rent upfront/bank statement showing funds will be enough but will be interested to see what others have done.

Guest RH Glenelg

If you are selling your property or renting it out some photos or the ad on the internet. The Agents email address and a bank statement to show you can afford the rent are a good idea.