Our first 2 weeks in Oz update!

Lil Bev

Our first 2 weeks in Oz have been eventful to say the least! The rental we booked in Glenelg turned out to be an absolute dump. When we walked through the door I just burst into tears and wanted to go home, as if the first apartment wasn't bad enough we moved to one upstairs which was just as bad. A sewer rat would turn it's nose up at this place! I had to get in touch with housing improvement and tenancies tribunals to threaten the landlord (STRESS!!), luckily they haven't got a leg to stand on and they have agreed to break our lease:jiggy:. Anyway..we moved into a new place yesterday which is absolutely stunning and even closer to the beach!!! We can now settle in to Australia, without having to worry about where we are living. Adelaide is a great city! Been out there a few times now and Glenelg is lovely. Haven't really explored much further as we have been busy dealing with the dump. Hoping to get a hire car soon and do some exploring. There is one place on my list (hic):wacko:. I start work on the 26th at The Royal Adelaide Hospital, which i am really looking forward to. Thankyou to everyone that has helped and supported us along the way. I hope to post another update soon.

Bev x

Sorry to hear about your rental experiences. It is so hard to book a place unseen as photos can only tell part of the story. I think that is why so many realestate agents here are reluctant to deal with people from the UK and insist you have to be here to see a place before signing on the dotted line! They must know their descriptions are sometimes less than ...errmm... comprehensive!

Glad you got things sorted, here's hoping things just go from strength to strength for you from now on!

Guest Ryan T. Lion

It is so hard to book a place unseen as photos can only tell part of the story. I think that is why so many realestate agents here are reluctant to deal with people from the UK and insist you have to be here to see a place before signing on the dotted line! They must know their descriptions are sometimes less than ...errmm... comprehensive!

Inaccuracies can work in your favour though - our rental's listing was terrible, there was a photo of the toilet with the brush put on top of the seat, pictures of the bathroom mat, dark photos of a random staircase........... just shocking.

We turned up - and found a huge, huge 3 bedroomed house 200yds from the beach, massive garden - colossal rooms, and an enormous upstairs conversion with a sea view. Covered area outside you could park a bus in...... In the words of Mary Poppins: practically perfect in every way.

We were the only people that looked at it - go figure! Must have been the bad listing............. at one point we were undecided whether we could even be bothered to go see it - we shudder at the thought of missing out on it now.

Guest gabriel

Sorry to hear that Bev it can only get better from now!! We were one of those of the SA thread on PIO all waiting for our visa at the same time (phillips family) so good to see you got over ok & settling into your new surroundings. Cant wait for the next post sure it will be lots better, good luck with work.

Trudy

Well done with coping with the crappy start! It's a roller coaster! Good luck starting your new job, it was all gobbledygook to me the first few days, but is making more sense already after three weeks, just don't be too hard on yourself, or think you're the first to get lost in the rah, I'm a nightmare!

Take care

Gill x

Well done with coping with the crappy start! It's a roller coaster! Good luck starting your new job, it was all gobbledygook to me the first few days, but is making more sense already after three weeks, just don't be too hard on yourself, or think you're the first to get lost in the rah, I'm a nightmare!

Take care

Gill x