Our Story....been here 11 weeks tomorrow!!

MeJulie

Hi Jade, It is a shame that happened to you but like you said you would not have met your partner. I met an Ozzie bloke in England so that is how I came to Australia in 1981. I was 23 at the time and had a 2yr old and 4mth old. It was a difficult time settling in to a new life but my husbands family and his old school mates welcomed me with open arms. I have had many friends who have returned to the UK as have not been happy here, but it is a shame you went back as there is lots of bar work especially in the country or hills of Adelaide. Not far to commute. Good Luck when you come back, great choice nursing as plenty of jobs. yes I am a nurse!

This is to both Julie and Howard really. My parents made the move 2years ago now and unfortunately I couldnt go on their visa as I wasnt in full time education so i had to go over on a working holiday visa and I only stayed 4months. (for you howard) I found it really hard at 21 because I had a large social group in the UK and the night life etc was very diff in adelaide and I work at the Holdfast pub (Holdy) while I was there but I could nt find proper work as i was only on a working holiday so i fell this made a big difference to me wanting to stay. To my parents disappointment I came back to the UK, which at the time was the right thing to do. However, now i have met my partner and we live together, he is going back to college to do welding and I have applied to go to uni to do nursing as we DEFIANATELY want to be back in adelaide, my partner came to visit my parents in January of this year. Also while over in adelaide my family knew of a couple and his son who had been there for 4 years and their 17 year old son decided he prefered the UK so they packed up and came back to the UK, however within 4months they were back in Adelaide again and still there now.Any advice I would give to your son is to stick at it and you need to give it time, I wish i had made it work while i potentially could but I wouldnt have met my partner or going back to uni. Julie- I was just wondering was your 20yr old daughter in education when you applied for your visa as my parents were told I couldnt go with them, was this a mistake from the agency?? jade

Hi Jade,

Yes my daughter was in education when we applied, but that in itself is not the defination of a dependent. I am not sure of your circumstances at the time your parents applied for their visa but lets say, just for example sake, that your circumstances were:

You were not in education but were working but living at home with no partner, if your parents could prove that you were still financially dependent on them, i.e. on your wages your were unable to move out and pay your bills, live, etc (have heard of people providing evidence of the cost of renting & buying, outlining cost of living expenses) then you would still be considered a dependent, and if these were your circumstances then I would say you were given wrong advice (but this is just my opinion and I am not an expert).

Not sure what your options are, have you tried posting your dilema under the general migration question forum? there are quite a few knowledgeable people who might be able to give you more specific advice.

Must be a horrible situation for your to be in right now, wanting to get back here where your parents are, and not being able too - sucks!!

Best of luck

Julie

• 6 months later...
Guest Dennic

It's so nice to see so meny good story's, we are looking at moving over at the end of this year and I am starting to worry about the kids, but from what you have said it sounds like you have plenty to do out and about.

That should help with home sickness!

Guest leeannekays

I read this thread a lot as we fly in 19 days and I have started feeling panicky, mostly due to people meeting with us for the last time for a while and they are making the goodbyes sooooooooo final. Finding hard to cope with to be honest. OH can't wait to go and is a lot more laid back than me, I guest I'm ready to get on with the adventure now.

Hearing other people's experiences help so much

Thank you

Leeanne xx