Guest bidsandrew

Selling your car

Guest bidsandrew

Hi, yet another question, sorry!!

How did everyone time the selling of their cars in the UK? Obviously we want as little time as possible without a car in the UK as renting one is costly and we defintly cant live without one!

Also where did everyone sell their cars, ebay, autotrader etc..?

Trying to time everything right is proving difficult but im sure it will all work out in the end!

What would we do without Pomsinadelaide!!!

Bridget

I know a couple of people advertised their cars a couple of months in advance and put a note on they would like to keep it for as long as possible before they left. One sold his a few days before he was due to leave to a work colleague at a knock down price. The other didn't sell and sold to a car dealer, again for a cheap price.

Personally I'd look to advertising at least a couple of months in advance. Cars can take a while to sell atm, especially if its not an in demand car.

I know we plan to sell ours even a month before and failing that will either scrap it or sell it to a dealer for whatever we can get. It'll be pretty old then and we are only keeping it now as we don't want to replace it when we plan to be in Aus by 2013. So for us keeping it and running it into the ground is the better option.

Guest Crushfamily

Ebay classified ad £15.00 - the phone rang off the hook! Unfortunately we don't leave for 10 days and are now carless!

Guest Adelaide_bound

When we had to get rid of our last two cars in a hurry (one blew up, the other was sitting needing a BIG MOT to get road worthy again, and we had to get out of London asap) we phoned we buy any car and then chocked on what they would give us, so just stuck them on Ebay - got far far far more than we ever thought we would for what were, to all intents and purposes, two scrap cars. 7 day listing, condition of listing they were picked up within 3 days of listing ending, no issues, money in account, cars gone :)

If they are good car/s you currently have I would go for it now, and if you can't get by without a car just get a banger from Ebay to replace it for the next month or so, then if you can't get rid of it back on Ebay, you can always go with the rip off merchants, or just scrap it (depending on your take on finances - for us we are v tight and every penny counts lol).

Ours are only probably worth about £500 each, so will hold off selling the big 4 wheel drive until a couple of days before we go probably (have to think though, because the tax is up at the end of Jan....and we want to go start of Feb - typical!) and the smaller car probably for Xmas, in case someone wants to buy it as a Christmas pressie for a learner driver etc. We're going to try gumtree and ebay again probably - it worked well before :)

I sold my car about a month or so before we left - and I just bought a little run around for the last month for $300 - ha, remember it wel - it was a Black fiesta XR2!! it did us proud!

Sarahx

Guest Ryan T. Lion

About 3 wks before leaving advetise it "full whack" on Autotrader and Gumtree. The week before you leave, knock money off it each day until it sells. I had no interest in mine whatsoever, and it was an "in demand" ecomical family car (large Volvo diesel estate)..... once I lowered it to a certain level, the phone rang off the hook - it's only then that you know what your car is worth! ie what someone will pay for it. If it sells too early, a small run around should cost about 30 quid per day to hire.