trevorpayne

Handy man

Hi all.

We have just arrive and I am looking to set up small business in Adelaide.

All jobs taken on large or small and I guarantee to reply to all calls.

Walling/retaining , paving, concreting, drainage, gutters, window cleaning, gardening, painting.

One set rate for all all projects.

I will offer great rates in return for word of mouth advertisement.

Please PM should you require anything.

I know your just arrived and will be getting used to things,but for some of the things you have listed you need to have a building licence even for handyman stuff you need a general repairs builders licence.If your looking at doing work for real estate agents etc they will ask for a licence, ABN, and insurance or they will not entertain you.Anything I can help you with give me a shout.

Guest katsmajic

Was just about to write the same as Ian - not even allowed to pick up a paint brush withouth the restricted builders licence.

Theres a fair amount of regulations around over here. Check out the restrictions before you do any advertising - as i know for a fact theres auditors on the prowl out there, posing as customers etc.

Guest m.jephcott

Be careful were you advertise there can be hefty fines for unlicensed builders. I would get onto the licencing process as soon as possible OCBA took 4 months to process OH licence and that was after he had done the business course. Make sure you do your homework well or they will not give you the licence you want and restrict what you can do, you will need to read the building codes which cost around $200 and any other relevant codes e.g timber framing and housing codes which are also expensive. They are well worth the outlay because like I said if you don't know your stuff they will restrict what you can do and won't tell you for 3 months. Be aware as well if you are not already that Insurance is also very very expensive compared with the UK. Good luck.

Guest Guest5035

You can advertise yourself for all the above work no problem, as long as you mention that you are not licensed, which then throws the onus on the customer whether to employ you or not, knowing you are not licensed. Alot of the people who advertise themselves in the messenger for this type of work will not have a licence number in their ad.

Stevo

Yep,the red tape here in all facets of life really is astounding!:wacko:But,the outlay,as said,more than justifies itself long term.Best Luck mate,hope you do well.

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm in the process of obtaining all the licences,and insurances that are required.

I'm just looking to start a new business.

Glad you posted Stevo didn't know I could advertised as been unlicensed. Cheers

Guest m.jephcott

Please check your facts before advertising OCBA states that everyone except those installing floating floors must be licensed. In reality many builders are unlicensed and many building companies employ unlicensed sub contractors. I have heard that OCBA are hot on the collar of unlicensed plumbers and electricians, large works that need planning will need a licensed builder and supervisor to sign off all work. Besides which OCBA took 4 months to grant a licence because they are short staffed, so I am sure they are not going to be chasing everyone who hasn't got one.

Also I would avoid advertising in the messanger for the hills and valley we just paid over $200 for a month and didn't even get an enquiry.

Guest katsmajic

Do not even think about working with out the licences - i'm a small business advisor with NEIS - government scheme - the penalties are not worth the risks - also you'll need to get public liability insurance in place - shop around as the quotes can vary massively.

I recommend a lady called Wendy - westcourt general insurace - shes a broker -

I am amazed every day at the restrictions and penalties imposed for breaching the restrictions.

Edited by Blossom
    Phone number removed as per forum rules

Guest blueswimmer

G'day. I am in the process of purchasing a house that needs some repairs. I am ok as a handyman but not real hot at concreter. Looking at steps, repairs, ramp etc Fees would be negotiable. Would like to help out so it can benefit both. Let me know your rates and how you are getting on and if we can help each other. Thanks