Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest5035

newies and their dogs

Guest Guest5035

For those recently arrived and have their dogs, now spring is here,grass seeds are around, which if get in between your dogs paws can be expensive to get removed via a vet. So make sure you clip the hairs and check after walking in a grassed area.

Stevo

Guest Helchops

Grass seeds as in normal seed which we'd spread on our lawns? I didn't even know it was dangerous for dogs!

Guest Guest5035

seeds as in long uncut grass, they get in between the paws and if not removed they then work there way inside the webs of the paws, sometimes they can be removed by the vet without a sedative, but most times a sedative is required. You will know if your dog has one if it keeps licking the paw and is irritated .

stevo

Guest nic-manchester

Hi Stevo

This may sound a really stupid question, we are shipping our dog oveer a bit after us so we can settle, the thing is she messes with anything that moves, worried that she might get hurt with the insects and stuff, any advice I would appreciate it. You would think it last thing on my mind at moment but am quite anxious!

Thanks

Nicola

Guest Helchops

Yeh, I second that question!

Our Jack Russell just darts after things like spiders, cats, rats - anything small and fury essentially. I read a sad story of a lady who'd lost her dog to a snake bite in Oz so it must happen...any precautions?

Guest Guest5035

Theres a myth about Snakes and spiders, basically keep your garden very tidy and not cluttered with hidey holes and you'll be right. Yes we do get snakes but not really in the metro area, unless you are very close to parks and creeks.

Spiders become second nature, when i arrived and saw my first redback i wore gloves in the garden, now never bother to.Cats rats and mice are in any country as they are here, so nothing different there,in fact we had a large whitetail inside last night, picked him up in the palm of my hand and put him in the garden.

When my springer and i used to go swimming in the sea,(not too far out) i was more scared of the sharks than spiders and snakes, again, sharks are always around and you get used to them being there, but they are not there every day or even week/month.If your numbers up, its up, enjoy life

stevo