Guest leemina

Dental care

Guest leemina

Hi

My 11 year old son had an accident at school today and chipped his front two adult teeth, we took him to dentist straight away and was charged nearly $300 for xrays etc, and have to go back on monday for further treatment (caps) which is gonna cost just over $500. Obviously this was not planned and we're wondering if it might be worth getting dental care now. We're a family of four, two boys (one of which will defo need braces).

Anyone got any advice on where is best place to get this, is it worth it?

Thanks

Sounds horrible - and expensive!

Here's a link to the school dentist. http://www.sadental.sa.gov.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=1

We have friends who have used them with great (and cheap!) results.

Although this was a few years ago and I have only other people's experience to go on, I reckon it must be worth a call at the very least, before you pay out any more money.

As for braces, I covered both my kids using extras medical insurance. There are a few options regarding dental care but they can talk you through them. We used Mutual Community and it was easy as. As luck would have it, neither of my kids needed braces but I have been told that the dentist can spread the cost of the braces over a couple of insurance years at the very least. The policy we chose allowed us to claim $800 per year for braces but that was down to our choice re level of insurance. We claimed on our Optical and basic Dental cover and it has been all good.

Hope that a) helps and b) makes sense lol

LC

Guest Pam777

extras insurance for dental is worth it if you plan to use it. If you dont think you'd use it just pay as you go. I am in the dental industry and this is the advice I give our patients.

I am with mutual community for 2 adults and 3 kids. It costs be just over $60 each month for extras only.

Pam

Guest coolio

Hi

Sorry to hear about your childs accident

I also work in the dental business and would say that if you are comparing UK with Aus dental charges, yes it seems so much more expensive here.

However, the fees are pretty much standard and set via the health funds and medicare, so are pretty much the same between general dental surgeries.

A $300 fee would be reduced if you had private health care. For example a fairly common health plan with any of the health providors eg Mutual Community, Medibank, HCF could pay from 60% meaning you would only pay up to &120. All this depends on who your provider is and what your cover is.

Most private health care plans have "waiting periods" before you can claim benefits, but sometimes these are waived if they have special offers or you have had previous cover in the UK (especially BUPA cover)

Pivate health care is often a strange concept to many who have previously had the benefit of the NHS.

Remember, it is not better or worse here, just different.

Talk to your dentist if you have any queries, they will be able to re-assure and help you

Best of luck xx

Guest smileconcepts

hi.

This is great information about the money we spent on dental care.I thing dental insurance is the best way to avoid it.

Thanks .

Hi

My 11 year old son had an accident at school today and chipped his front two adult teeth, we took him to dentist straight away and was charged nearly $300 for xrays etc, and have to go back on monday for further treatment (caps) which is gonna cost just over $500. Obviously this was not planned and we're wondering if it might be worth getting dental care now. We're a family of four, two boys (one of which will defo need braces).

Anyone got any advice on where is best place to get this, is it worth it?

Thanks

Hi

Try giving GP dental plus a ring, they are next to the new sports stadium at Marion. I took my daughter there yesterday as part of the teen dental plan & it didn't cost me anything. The receptionist advised me that there was a maximum cap on children's dental & even though I have private health insurance it still works out very expensive going private (over $300 for fillings). They don't take private patients and as she's under 17 she gets her treatment free.

Tracey

Am I right in thinking that if children had braces in the UK, the continuation of treatment would be with a Private Practice?

Last week I had their first appointment is SA and was given a $1200 bill (One child had 2 teeth out, the other had moulds taken and they both had bands adjusted).

Thanks

Jo

I need a tooth extracting next year and a bridge built and fitted in its place. The dentist typed up the quote...just over $4000. Good job I was sitting in his chair at the time, lol.

Our dental cover won't cover it due to the waiting period for such treatment. I spoke to my old dentist in the UK, they said the same treatment would of cost me around £300.

So, ironically it would be cheaper for me to fly back to the UK to have it done. (I'm not going to).

C'est la vie

Paul

Hi - just wondered if anyone has used Noble Dentists here in Adelaide? http://www.nobledentist.com.au/ - I saw them mentioned some time ago on Poms in Oz I think and had a look at the site, they sounded quite reasonable. I had just had some root canal stuff done which cost quite a lot so it was too late for me on that occasion, but as a family we don't have any private medical cover, and this looked like something that might fill that gap (no pun intended!)

Anyone know anything about them?

Last time I looked they seemed to only have one participating dentist, in Payneham Road I think he was - but just had another quick look now and there seem to be a lot more...

Guest warnchrist

Nice thread, dental care is really very essential for tooth health and make free them from infections and cavities. Go for your dentist regularly for dental health checkup.

Guest clearclouds

That's why it is best to take care of our teeth. How would not want to have a wonderful smile with white, flashing teeth? :)

Register with school dental services, just(for us it's Marion GP plus), you just pay the yearly fee(I cant remember how much but very cheap) and all the treatments are free(except for bands /braces).