Guest ras

Has anyone hired a conatainer only and shipped it themselves? too good to be true?

Guest ras

Hi Everyone,

Not that I always think I can organise/do things better cheaper myslef however........... I contacted a shipping company about shipping a conatainer, they quoted me for a 20foot container delivered to the house on a lorry, just the same as when the removalas company does it, they ship to adelaide and it arrives at quayside............. basically it doesnt include the removals people ! I appreciate that I would have to arrange for movers this end/ that end but quote for conatainer was around £2000............ I havent looked into how much it would cost and pros or cons of hiring removers / customs etc yet as only just had quote through. basically to use a removal company it is gonna cost £3,900 plus the $440 dollars for the examination.

Has anyone done it themselves before? considering the shipping company will be making a profit from me aswell the removals companys must be rakeing the cash in !!

( I know probably mad if I decide to ship myself):idea:

You will have to sort out the quarantine and the customs at this end.

Just as an idea its $44 per kilo for storage in the shippers if its not removed within a week.

That could end up being expensive.

You would have to be in the country to receive the container then go to customs to get it cleared then go to quarantine and arrange them to look at your stuff.

This may mean emptying the whole container and then repacking it.

This is where the time on the dockside could blow out of control.

I have done sort of thing with a box of stuff we did not pack and know other people who have also sent boxes of stuff over.

There is a lot of messing about and time wasted.

Its a good idea but beware of the extra charges at this end.

Rob and Mel

Guest Sachertorte

Hi Ras,

I have imported recently a large machine for my bakery from Europe and I have decided to broker the import myself as it was only one item.

I am not intimidated by paperwork, but I must say the process is really complicated. AUS Customs has strict instructions not to help anyone with the forms required, and you will need several trips to customs, AQIS, depot, and coordinating with quarantine (as it is personal effects) to ensure the load can get to you (and I had the process organised by paying a freight forwarder from Europe!). The paperwork needs to be 100 % correct obviously from the UK end too (computers won't allow for inconsistencies) and you need to know which freight company will take over when in Australia seas (I understand these are arrangements between companies).

You need to engage a freight forwarder from the UK yourself as you will need to have means to generate the paperwork to trace the location of your container (its house bill, ocean bill etc) - sometimes the vessels change at Singapore etc.

Since I have been this process myself I absolutely don't grudge anymore the 2K extra spent on the fantastic shippers we used.

HTH

Guest ras

Thanks, I think decision is made and we are going to use a company. I think the thought of filling in more forms is too unbareable, I would rather have a root canal than more form filling.... lol and I hate a trip to the dentist!

Guest ras

Hi Rob and Mel, thanks for helpful post, we are going to use a company...........allthough a few days ago we'd had about enough and was just going to head over with our suitcases and an extra £4000 in our pockets, which still sounds tempting............. by the way is that all your luggage in your picture ???? I am trying to find out if I can have the double luggage allowance from BA/QF, as we are on a temp state sponsored visa and came over last December to validate it. How are you enjoying Aberfoyle Park as an area, would you reccomend it with a 5 year old

Ras,

Yes that is our luggage in the picture there was 8 suitcases two trunkies, one laptop bag, one hand bag, two ruck sacks.

We loaded the cases all the way through from Manchester, Heathrow, Singapore to Adelaide.

We stopped over in Singapore but used clothes in the hand luggage to change into.

I am not certain but if you have entered Oz while your visa is active then you can not have double allowance.

I am not certain but I believe it to be this way.

Aberfoyle Park Ticks all the boxes for us but it will start a long debate if I go into lots of detail....lol

If you want any more info please feel free to contact us about things.

Rob and Mel

I am trying to find out if I can have the double luggage allowance from BA/QF, as we are on a temp state sponsored visa and came over last December to validate it.

You won't be eligible for the extra baggage. Its only for unvalidated permanent visas so you'd not qualify.

Also iirc I don't think BA do the extra baggage so unless the codeshare flight is Qantas all the way, anyone flying on a BA leg would probably have to pay excess. Code sharing doesn't mean they have to honour the extra baggage allowance for migrants.