Guest Ryan T. Lion

Adelaide expensive...? Try a 9,900% mark-up!

Guest Ryan T. Lion

I just went to get the battery in my watch replaced.

It was $60. I kid you not.

Six-zero dollars.

I just googled the battery my watch takes - and you can get them wholesale for $0.60

Yes - sixty cents.

If you follow even my shabby maths.... $1.20 is 100% mark-up, $1.80 is 200% etc.... By the time you've marked up the battery to $60, you're into a profit of 9,900%.

That would be the equivalent of paying TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS for 10 bunches of bananas (at say $10/kg and each a kg bunch).

One word: insane.

I actually laughed.

Hey-ho. Good job I've got a spare watch, eh?

Is my maths right???

Guest willfam

go to the Reject Shop or Battery World. I bought a battery for my car remote from one of those booths in Marion $35. Went to Battery World for a car battery and asked about remote batteries.......$10 big difference!!!!

Guest Ryan T. Lion
    Um shop around? or try ebay

Um thanks for the tip?

I'm not asking where to buy a battery from. I am drawing attention to a 60c battery being sold for $60.

Yep,does not surprise me.Newbies coming here need to be aware. Always ask the price for any service you require,don't just expect a reasonable figure,or you may well be in for a big shock.:shocked:

Guest Adelaide_bound

Its the same all over unfortunately - I used to work for a clothing company that made clothes for The Disney Store and Woolies (ladybird children's clothing) - we used to invoice them something like £1.25 for a quality duffle coat with a winnie the pooh or something embroidered on it, they would then sell onto the public for about £65 a pop - not exactly the same mark up, but not too far off really. It's just how retail works - you have to shop around for everything, no matter where you are, but at the end of the day you'll probably end up paying way too much for most things (especially clothes!)

Yeah, I remember dropping off a couple of watches at a kiosk in West Lakes shopping centre two or three years ago, wandering off to grab a coffee and coming back to a bill for over $100 for two batteries fitted! Never again!

While on the subject of things being expensive, we've just got our water bill and while we used less water than in the previous quarter the bill is over $25 more. Makes me wonder where utility costs will end up!

Jim