Guest markandcate

Decisions, decisions.....

Guest markandcate

We have been here just over a week and are currently viewing lots of rentals!! We have got some big decisions to make tho! We have seen 2 houses that are on our shortlist.... the 1st is an older house, lovely garden, really nice area, 15 mins from hubbys work and 5 mins from my sister but not quite our taste in decoration and style. The 2nd house is cheaper and is a new build which is what we love BUT its 25-30 mins from hubbys work and 15-20 mins from my sister and in a quieter area so would have to travel for shopping. We really dont know what to do.... we're thinking the older house because of the convienance and it wouldn't be forever as we are hoping to buy/build in a year or so but the new build is so nice!!!

:arghh::arghh::arghh:HELP!!

Guest sksmith

Hi Mark and Cate,

Here's my take on things:

Look into the schools and visit if possible before you decide. Also, check out the prices to see if you comfortably afford to ultimately buy in same area you are renting should you get attached to the school/neighbourhood/friends. If those factors are met, and it were me, I would likely pick the older house that's closer to everything, just in case the commute is a little bit longer during rush hour etc. Being 5 minutes away from your sister would be a real bonus. Like you said, it's temporary and if you choose to buy in the area you can always renovate to your style/liking. Is there opportunity for new builds in the area of the older house (again, think long term) In the mean time, think shabby chic...

I'm not much good to ask as I love the older style houses. I'd never go for a new build, I find them pretty souless, but that's just my own tastes there :cute:

TBH, if its only short term, go with whatever makes you happier overall. Consider the shopping, getting about aspect and the convenience of living that bit closer to family and work commute as a big factor though. Honestly, in the early days, being able to feel connected is an important thing I feel. And a shorter commute is always a good thing in my book. Even 20 minutes each way can make all the difference.

Also, once you do come to buying you may be looking to buy in the area so whichever one you are living in, you'll have had a good feel for it in the meantime and will know if its for you or if you want to be elsewhere.

Personally, I'd go for house number 1 and be closer to family and the shorter commute and facilities within a decent distance. Might not be to your taste, but shorter term rentals rarely are. If its clean, decent and you like the area, I'd go with area over the more modern house in the not so suitable area every time.

Guest teamV

Try and get a short contract incase you find the perfect house next month ,or just think its only for a year and then you can move again.

Kev.

And yes, as has been said with kids, the schools are also important. If you hope to buy near your sister in the longer term, I'd be looking at that area over the other for sure.

You will be renting - the house is almost irrelevant. You need to go with location, work and family. Different if you're buying, but you're not.

pretty much the same thing happened to us when we were looking for rentals...... one was an older property but a big worn looking ..... and it had a pool.... Hubby really wanted it..... but I couldnt see thru the old fashioned look and the kitchen wasnt great... and the new build looked so great.. so we went for the new build. My advice would be to check out the new build... ours had no great insulation so in the winter it was freezing and in the summer it was like a greenhouse... we had no outside covered pergola..which we didnt think about or consider as important and it had no shades over the windows which made the rooms so so hot... just didnt consider those things! we have now bought a house which is an older property and the difference in the heat is unreal... so much more comfortable! So go with what you feel most positive about.. but just check over things carefully..... :wubclub:

Guest stekaz

cheaper the better if you looking to build anyway.Mind you summer can get really hot so air-con would be BIG plus for me.

Guest markandcate

Thanks everyone for all your advice, it has helped us! I think we are probably going to go for the one closer to work and family, plus my sister can help with the babysitting!!