leelee53

Best Beaches?....

Hi,

We arrive in Adelaide 1/1/12, and like many of you, have not been to that part of Oz before, and the websites only tell you so much!!

We have narrowed our search on areas down to: Hallett Cove, Port Noarlunga, Moana, Seaford (Rise/Meadows/Heights), and would like to ask what the beaches are like there. We ideally want the usual white, sandy beaches (not rocky!), so if you could advise me on the best places it would be much appreciated!

Thankyou,

Lisa

:cute:

Guest Kazzarazza

For me, you can't beat the northern beaches, Henley Beach, Grange, Tennyson, West Lakes Shore and Semaphore. We lived in Hallett Cove originally but the beach there is rocky - HC is popular because it's on top of the cliff and most of the streets have views! Anything further south of HC is getting too far out of town. Glenelg beach is nice too but it gets very busy.

The northern beaches are on the plains, flatter, long sandy stretches for miles, less wind and rain anywhere north of Marino Rocks and the tide/swell is almost non-existant so much safer.

Cheers, Kazza

Hi Lisa

Hallet Cove has a small rocky beach. Moana, Port Noarlunga, Southport are all lovely beaches....then you have Maslins, Aldinga and our personal favourite Silver Sands....they are all lovely family beaches - some are drive ons.

On our website I have some photos of the beaches - the one with us putting up our gazebo is Silver Sands.....theres also quite a few of Moana (where we live).

You will not be disappointed......

Sarahx

Hi we have been to a few beaches and have to agree that the beaches in Aldinga,Moana,Seaford,Maslin, are all nice, Brighton and Port Norlunga is nice too, not been up north yet so can't comment. They are great early in the morning and early evening if you just want a peaceful stroll,

Hi,

We arrive in Adelaide 1/1/12, and like many of you, have not been to that part of Oz before, and the websites only tell you so much!!

We have narrowed our search on areas down to: Hallett Cove, Port Noarlunga, Moana, Seaford (Rise/Meadows/Heights), and would like to ask what the beaches are like there. We ideally want the usual white, sandy beaches (not rocky!), so if you could advise me on the best places it would be much appreciated!

Thankyou,

Lisa

:cute:

Guest cornish Busdriver

Defo the best beaches are down south from O'sullies, Christies, moana, maslins, silversands and Aldinga are all perfect sand and cleanwarm water.

Just gotta watch out for dolphins and the odd stingray in the surf.

There are some stunning beaches all the way along this coast.

I take my Boxer down to run on the Christies / O Sullivans beach and occasionally on the Southport beach.

The Port Noarlunga / Port Noarlunga South beach took the award for 2009 / 10 for Australia's cleanest beach.

Tamara

Just gotta watch out for dolphins and the odd stingray in the surf.

What does the dolphin reference mean? Don't tell me they've started attacking swimmers now!

To the OP, there are great beaches north, west and south of the city. As has been mentioned, HC is mostly rocky (but very popular with the Brits) but some really nice beaches close by.

Like Kazza, my favourites are the northern beaches, particularly Semaphore.

Jim

Guest cornish Busdriver

Just gotta watch out for dolphins when ya fishing up to ya chest in water.

They like to be nosey, hada few close encounters lol lol

Guest smit

The northern beaches are on the plains, flatter, long sandy stretches for miles, less wind and rain anywhere north of Marino Rocks and the tide/swell is almost non-existant so much safer.

Cheers, Kazza

Thats why a prefer the more southern beaches.......better waves for playing in:wink:.........something for everyone.

Guest guest569

have to agree, My kids would be bored in a millpond. No surfing or bodyboards !!!!

Guest Damien

You all wanna come down to the SE for a hol. Just the best beaches (I know, I see them every day:)) We have loads of different beaches here and with the extensive reefs and bays you can take the kids to a flat calm, warm shallow bay in the morning snorkelling for crays and abalone and then go surfing in 5m swell later on. We have everything you need and the beaches are deserted!

Then there's Coonawarra.....

Damo

Guest SA Great
    You all wanna come down to the SE for a hol. Just the best beaches (I know, I see them every day:)) We have loads of different beaches here and with the extensive reefs and bays you can take the kids to a flat calm, warm shallow bay in the morning snorkelling for crays and abalone and then go surfing in 5m swell later on. We have everything you need and the beaches are deserted!

Then there's Coonawarra.....

Damo

And the water is like ice!

Wherever you choose you can't go wrong!The scenery,the sea and the beaches right along all have it for me!Absolutely superb all of them.My personal faves of the ones i've been to so far,are Maslins and Henley.And yes,many of them are virtually deserted!It's Heaven.

Guest Damien
    And the water is like ice!

No it's not! We have the odd warm day down here too you know! We do usually pay for it with a week of rain after though ;(

TBH the sea temp here is ok for most of the year but is subject to upwellings that can raise or lower the temp a lot in a day or so (it went from 20C to 12C in a couple of days in Jan then straight back up again). Those little bays such as Hut Bay and Cape Douglas are like baths tho, the water gets trapped in them and they are so shallow they get warm as bathwater and much clearer/cleaner than Adelaide seas, they are pristine. You don't have the small bays we do here. Oh, and those ocean currents bring the food for all the fish we catch down here that you metro folk never get to see such as tuna, mako, massive kgw, gummies etc ;) Not to mention the bloody dolphins.......;)