Spiders !! Help

Guest AndyD71

Hi

We are finalising our move to just North of Adelaide, hopefully we will be there in January 12

My wife is petrified of SPIDERS in england never mind the big hairy things down under lol

Can anyone give any advise?? are the spiders common ?? is there anything to stop them coming in the house ??

Please anyone got any advise

Thanks

Andy

Hey Andy,

I just arrived yesterday and am also petrified of spiders. I searched my temporary accommodation from top to bottom before going to sleep, even after the 30 something hours of travel. And I kept a sharp eye out for them all day when wandering around, and that included going right under trees and in parks. I have yet to see a single spider and at all, thankfully. I'm sure whenever I do it will be horrible but at least your can reassure your wife that they aren't too frequent!

Good luck with your moving preparations :)

Guest Squareman

Oh bloody hell, here we go again............LOL

Andy, you might want to do a search on this on here as there have been a hundred similar posts. Bottom line is that there are big, nasty spiders here (some deadly, some harmless) but it's not like each day is a fight for survival between man and arachnid. If your wife has SERIOUS issues, then you should consider counselling of some sort. We have been here 8 months and haven't seen a single redback spider or even that many really big hairy spiders, but other folk certainly have.

Sorry but I've seen loads, Red Backs, white tips, huntsmans and daddy longlegs. I would say if your concerned you can get a bug bomb that will kill bugs in your vents you can also get sprays to spray around your house. If its a big concern you can get a company to come in and exterminate the blighters. But how the rule goes is all spiders bite. Huntsmans can be big (size of your hand) but they eat the little one's Red Backs and White Tips. These are your nasties don't mess with them squash and dispose of with dustpan and brush do not touch.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Even though ya missus is scared of spiders some like the huntsman can be ya best friend as there harmless and eat all the nasty ones.

I'm alway happy to find a huntsman cause it means no redbacks, whitetips or funnel webs

Australian spiders (Sydney funnelweb excepted, that one's apparently a bit agro, but you don't get that one in Adelaide) are about as likely to bite as a UK spider (yes, UK spiders can bite, and do on occasion). The only difference is that here, a bite may result in a trip to hospital. Some houses get more spiders than others, same as in the UK. Huntsmen can get pretty big, then again, so can UK house spiders (came across a whopper on my last trip back bigger than any huntsman I've seen so far - shudder).

So basically, no need to change your behaviour, just make sure you don't pick them up bare-skinned when removing them from the bath/sink/wherever they got stuck - not that you would anyway if you're scared of them. Just learn which ones can be nasty and make sure to get yourself to a doctor/hospital in the unlikely even of a bite.

Yep,and don't leave shoes out side of a night,and wear gloves when gardening,weeding etc,and when grabbing hold of any outside fixtures,ie taking the Wheely Bins out to be emptied etc.:wink:Cobwebs everywhere outside,but don't worry the owner is only waiting for an unsuspecting Fly(or finger)to come along!:swoon:

Guest cornish Busdriver

a general guide

If you got daddy long legs then there is no other spiders, when the daddy long legs disapear then theres a huntsman around somewhere.

Huntsman spiders are great to have and have a real good size one running round the house, even comes and sits on the arm of the sofa next to me when im watching tv.

Guest Helchops

Has anyone seen those spider deterrant devices (http://www.amazon.co.uk/PestBye-Advanced-Spider-Repeller-Deterrent/dp/B0027GZPFK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1317212561&sr=8-2) do they work or is it a lot of hot air?

I'm quite afeared of spiders, but it's only the really big ones that scare me...I think, even though in Oz even some of the little ones can be deadly (redback anyone?) I'll still feel the same way. It's an emotional fear rather than a rational one for me.

Over here, my other half won't let me squish them, saying, 'They're god's creatures'. Well when i'm in Oz, it's ME or the SPIDER - and I'm defo gonna win that battle!!

Guest Helchops
Sorry but I've seen loads, Red Backs, white tips, huntsmans and daddy longlegs. I would say if your concerned you can get a bug bomb that will kill bugs in your vents you can also get sprays to spray around your house. If its a big concern you can get a company to come in and exterminate the blighters. But how the rule goes is all spiders bite. Huntsmans can be big (size of your hand) but they eat the little one's Red Backs and White Tips. These are your nasties don't mess with them squash and dispose of with dustpan and brush do not touch.

Are these poisonous in Oz?

Guest Adelaide_bound
Are these poisonous in Oz? (Daddy long legs)

Same as the UK - no (its a myth they are the most venomous thing in the world), and even if they were, their 'fangs' are only 0.25mm long - teeny tiny weeny winy! :D

I'm completely sick of the flying Daddy Long Leg invasion in the UK though - wish they would stop their two week (or however long) plague and all bog off!

Guest Helchops
Same as the UK - no (its a myth they are the most venomous thing in the world), and even if they were, their 'fangs' are only 0.25mm long - teeny tiny weeny winy! :D

I'm completely sick of the flying Daddy Long Leg invasion in the UK though - wish they would stop their two week (or however long) plague and all bog off!

Damn...I've been telling people that they are the most venomous thing in the world...I was just worried that in Oz, there would be some giant Hybrid version, marked with red and yellow stripes and capable of flying and biting at the same time...that would be a scary spider!

Guest Adelaide_bound

I'm quite afeared of spiders, but it's only the really big ones that scare me...I think, even though in Oz even some of the little ones can be deadly (redback anyone?)

Know what you mean about it being irrational (otherwise why would be scared of them in the UK?) although remember there hasn't been a redback death for quite a few decades in Aus apparently. Interesting article on being bitten by one here:

http://www.bobinoz.com/blog/4461/what-its-really-like-to-be-bitten-by-a-redback-spider/

(Seems no worse than a bad wasp sting, certainly no worse than a Hornet sting for the majority of people imho).

I'll still be quaking in my boots no doubt though lol

Guest Adelaide_bound
Damn...I've been telling people that they are the most venomous thing in the world...I was just worried that in Oz, there would be some giant Hybrid version, marked with red and yellow stripes and capable of flying and biting at the same time...that would be a scary spider!

Thats the bird eating spider....:eek:

[h=2]Bird-eating Spider[/h]Scientific Name: Selenocosmia crassipes

large_sp_birdeating.jpg&size=300[h=4]Did You Know?[/h]These spiders will often construct a side burrow off the main tunnel, which slopes upwards and ends in a round chamber. This is specifically designed as an emergency home in case heavy rains flood the main burrow. The upward angle ensuring that an air chamber is maintained with sufficient oxygen to keep the spider alive for many days if necessary.

This is one of several species of large, aggressive spiders, which are found in the warmer and more arid regions of Australia. The largest species may attain a body length of 60mm and a leg span of 160mm, with powerful fangs 10mm long. The colour varies from grey-brown to reddish, often with a silvery sheen. Some species are known as barking or whistling spiders because of the sounds they can produce by rubbing their palps (the appendages between the front legs) along a set of spines at the base of their fangs.

Guest Helchops
The upward angle ensuring that an air chamber is maintained with sufficient oxygen to keep the spider alive for many days if necessary.

After reading this thread, I haven't got enough oxygen to make it to lunch...

We havn't seen any spiders since we got here...until last night.Maisie caught the most horrible thing ever climbing the curtains.I tried to google it today but having not slept all night thinking about it I couldn't even look at the pictures to find what it was.We have bombed and sprayed the place every few months so don't know how he got in!My main worry is how do you train your little cat not to go for them.They could hurt her?