Spiders !! Help

Guest AndyD71

Guest Adelaide_bound

lol, soz Helchops - just think though, Mortain will be your friend (take our shares in them perhaps?) :D (And I'll be laughing on the other side of my face come Feb when I'm face to face with a moosive huntsman!)

Guest Helchops
lol, soz Helchops - just think though, Mortain will be your friend (take our shares in them perhaps?) :D (And I'll be laughing on the other side of my face come Feb when I'm face to face with a moosive huntsman!)

Yes...I shall be watching your posts very carefully when you arrive, and hopefully learning from them!

In the spirit of this thread, I googled huntsman and was pleasantly surprised that they don't seem bigger than a large wolf spider here in the UK - but then I spotted, 'Gigantic Huntsman' and immediately felt quite a lot worse...

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_huntsman_spider)

12" leg span. Woah...

Guest Helchops

That's good to know....phew...

When we were in Greece, we met a couple of wonderful Australian ladies who we still keep in touch with. At the time, we were talking about spiders, and as she lived near Sydney's CBD, she said she hadn't seen any at all, and that she wasn't freaked out about them, and that she couldn't understand why pommies were so obsessed with that one element of Australia - the bugs!

The day she arrived home, a massive Huntsman was on the wall of her unit - apparently, she attached two hoover pipes together just so she could stay at least ten feet away whilst suctioning the beast up! 'wasn't freaked out'...yeh right.

Thank you for your comments.... where we live at the moment (In Countyside) we do get really BIG ones and was just wondering what spiders were like in Austraila!!! Sorry to the guy who is sick of the same questions , but am new to the forum and havent worked it all out yet!!! This might sound silly to some but what is the state of play regarding Shutting windows / doors ??

Guest Adelaide_bound

Andy - the search facility works really well on the site as well, and if you find a half decent thread, there are related threads at the very bottom of the page, which can be really helpful when you're looking for specific info on something. Don't stress, we all have to start somewhere, and you don't know until you've been told how to do stuff after all :wink:

(sorry can't help on windows/doors - do you mean do people do this/not do this? I believe a lot of houses in Oz have bug screens on them, so you can leave them open and the nasties don't get in)

One last comment from me. It might be worth a trip to Bunnings our version of B&Q once you've arrived they have variety of products for exterminating these critter's, the ozzie staff are very friendly and helpful and they should be able to give you advice on each product. This is worth doing as some products work better than others.

Jule's

Hi AndyD71 and button: We lived in Oz for nearly 24 years (4 in Sydney and 19 in Adelaide) and I never came across any horrible spiders, honestly! Obviously, during summer months spiders spin webs in gardens and outdoor areas where there's not much foot traffic, so just watch out for them. It's exactly the same here in England; just now there seems to be loads of spiders webs in our back garden, and they were even talking about how many more spiders webs there were than usual for this time of year on local radio BBC Radio Surrey and Sussex yesterday, because we're having an Indian Summer. Just as long as you don't rummage around with ungloved fingers inside disused corners in sheds or the rims of old car tyres etc, and make sure your kids are where you can see them when they're playing in the back garden, you won't get any nasty surprises! Truly, the biggest spider I've ever seen in my entire life was in a flat we were renting in Brentwood, Essex, back in 1993 soon after we came back to England. It was the biggest, hairiest monster I'd ever seen, and I got the fright of my life when it ran across the carpet from underneath the sofa I was sitting on! My feet have never left the floor so fast, I promise you! It ran behind the tv and I was too scared to go and see where it went after that, but the nearest I went to that corner after that was from the end of the vacuum cleaner hose - although I never saw it again, thank goodness! I did actually see a couple of red-back spiders and a few funnel-webs during our time in Oz, but only in the kinds of places you'd expect them to be anyway. Just remember not to go rummaging in dark, unused corners and you'll be absolutely fine!

Btw, if you're worried about snakes, I can also say that in all my years in Oz, I never saw even one snake. The first and only snake I ever saw (outside of a zoo) was again in Brentwood, Essex, which turned out to be a grass snake in a grassy bank along a country lane. Just be aware!

Other than that, there's so much to love about living in The Wide Brown Land of Oz.

Be happy.

Even though ya missus is scared of spiders some like the huntsman can be ya best friend as there harmless and eat all the nasty ones.

I'm alway happy to find a huntsman cause it means no redbacks, whitetips or funnel webs

Of course you wont see funnel webs, they dont reside in Adelaide. :wink:

Since when do they eat or scare white tips or redbacks?

Also remember if you put poison in your house they will all stay outside and you will get more in your garden...

Spiders, snakes, mossies, sharks etc are all part of living here. Most people don't get killed by them, but more do than in England, if you are that worried, don't come. No nice way of saying it, but it's part of living in Aus. You get the good with the bad. If you have animlas, expect them to be bitten and have high vet bills too. Most won't be bitten but prepare for the worst.

No need to be paranoid at all about any animals in OZ. As I told my wife when we first got here-if it cant eat you, or mate with you, then its not interested.

More people die from bee stings in the UK than all the spider/shark/snake/croc deaths combined here (very few). Mosquitoes kill millions and no one is scared of them...

I spend a lot of time in the desert, and riding my MTB in the forests, and have yet to see anything that has worried me.

All this week I have been clearing a block of native bushland that we are building on.....not seen a thing. Only thing that bit me? An ant. An inch long....it fookin hurt! But I was digging up its nest at the time....

Enjoy the wildlife here-its one of the things that makes it great.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest angiestaff

Hi

i am the same as your wife, absolutley petrified of any spiders no matter the size, we were advised to get a man in!....he comes every year and sprays inside and out and the spiders don't like whatever he sprays because they all die!...perfect! lol

ange

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry about the spiders....it 's the snakes and sharks you need to stress about...!!

only joking , I hate spiders big time, but there is no real issue...just get the wife to tackle them...its what I do !!