Guest jlr248

Shipping rusty tools???

Guest jlr248

Hi all,

Not quite how it was meant to sound!

Have just read that any tools with rust on may get put into quarantine and end up costing a bomb to get through customs. Is this true? We are planning on shipping 99% of OH plumbing tools but he also wants to take some vital bits as part of our baggage allowance so he is not without them. Although the will be cleaned and oiled (Oh is doing this as we speak) there are many items with some rust. Could this be a problem? Need an answer on this asap please as packers are coming on Wednesday (they wouldnt commit and said we should gov. web site but couldnt find a difinitive answer there either. Heads in bits...jane

Guest monkey-74

I shipped over all my tools some had a bit of rust I even shipped my chainsaw and hedge trimmer and all I did was to blow them off with an air line. That said if you are found to have items not properly cleaned you will be charged a cleaning fee.

Rust is not in itself a problem. They are looking for organic matter. If an item is very rusty and flaky then it might be harbouring organic matter, so be pulled out at inspection. So clean things well and sand off any flaky bits and you should be fine.