Sign in to follow this  
Guest Happychick

Short Term Accomodation

Guest Happychick

Hi everyone.

Myself and my family will be arriving in adelaide in May Hopefully (if sale of house goes through ok) and will be looking at settleing in or around the hallett cove area.

Could anyone recommend anywhere to stay in the area for the first few weeks when we arrive , would be looking at apartments/hotels , just somewhere as a base to go out exploring the area and hopefully finding a longer term rental..

Any info would be greatly appreciated. And how long would anyone suggest arranging the initial accomodation for ??

thanks

Lisa

Guest dglamoore

When we first arrived we stayed at a caravan park - was not ideal as we were falling over each other but gave us the incentive to get a rental sorted asap :v_SPIN: There are a few options around. Try here for some ideas -

Caravan Parks - http://www.adelaidebound.com/accommodation3.html

Short term furnished rentals - http://www.adelaidebound.com/accommodation2.html

Good luckw ith the house sale!!

Lisa:cute:

Guest Happychick
    When we first arrived we stayed at a caravan park - was not ideal as we were falling over each other but gave us the incentive to get a rental sorted ]

Hi Lisa ,

Thanks for replying , i have had a look at various places including a caravan park, Just not sure hubby would be too happy as hes pretty tall and when we've stayed in one in the past he has a tendancy to bang his head on the light fittings :biglaugh:. But its definately something we will bare in mind.

How long did it take to find you to find a rental??

Lisa

Guest dempseys

hello there lisa,

we have looked into this ourselves and if you have state sponsorship you can arrange for someone to meet you at the airport (good if you don't know where your going or have'nt been there before) and they can offer you a rental place at a cheap price, which is cool!! hope that is of any help to you,sorry just noticed that you've had your visa granted, sorry if this sounds thick but how do you recieve the visa, and i am sure i've read that you send your passport somewhere to be stamped, is that right??

good luck with your move.

macky (31) mark (31) and aaron (14months)

Guest soggy
    hello there lisa,

we have looked into this ourselves and if you have state sponsorship you can arrange for someone to meet you at the airport (good if you don't know where your going or have'nt been there before) and they can offer you a rental place at a cheap price, which is cool!! hope that is of any help to you,sorry just noticed that you've had your visa granted, sorry if this sounds thick but how do you recieve the visa, and i am sure i've read that you send your passport somewhere to be stamped, is that right??

good luck with your move.

macky (31) mark (31) and aaron (14months)

Hi, the cool rental place ( on arrival accomodation ) is good if you get it, I have applied myself, but theres not enough to go around and you don't know if you have been lucky untill 3 or 4 weeks before you arrive so you need to book somwhere as back up.

You send your passports to London to Aus Embassy, it takes about 5 working days to get back to you, then dance around the room and drink wine.;)

Simon

Guest Happychick

Hi,

I had heard somewhere about the meet and greet service somewhere, we dont have state sponcership so dont think would be an option for us , but for people that do it sounds like a good option,

When you have your visa granted you have to send them off to australian embassy (or something like that) with your grant letter and they stamp your passports with your visa.

we sent them of on a wednesday and had them back by friday so a very fast turn around ..

Lisa

Guest soggy
    Hi,

I had heard somewhere about the meet and greet service somewhere, we dont have state sponcership so dont think would be an option for us , but for people that do it sounds like a good option,

Lisa

Hi,

the on arrival services are, I think, available to all independent skilled migrants, even if you did not get state sponsorship. Heres the site http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au

click on skilled worker then services.

Simon

Guest dglamoore
    When we first arrived we stayed at a caravan park - was not ideal as we were falling over each other but gave us the incentive to get a rental sorted ]

Hi Lisa ,

Thanks for replying , i have had a look at various places including a caravan park, Just not sure hubby would be too happy as hes pretty tall and when we've stayed in one in the past he has a tendancy to bang his head on the light fittings :biglaugh:. But its definately something we will bare in mind.

How long did it take to find you to find a rental??

Lisa

Hi Lisa

We were very very lucky and found a rental on our 6th day here and got the keys the following day - but we know others that have taken weeks so don't take this as much of a guide!! It will depend on how hard you look and how wide your area is as to how quick you find something........plus some luck on our part :v_SPIN:

We did apply for OAA but it was full for the dates we arrived so did not get it.

Lisa:cute: