Sign in to follow this  
Guest jlr248

Can you ship sheepskin rugs?

Guest jlr248

Hi, The title says it all. Is it ok to put sheepskin rugs in our container. Think this just might be my last shipping question! Thanks Jane

Also from AQIS site

Common items of quarantine concern.

The first rule to remember is that AQIS will be interested in any item that originated from an animal or a plant (including timber), or contains part of an animal or a plant.The second rule to remember is that AQIS will also be interested in any item that has been in contact with animals, plants, water, food or soil.Please view the list of common items of quarantine concern. This list is designed to assist you when you are packing your goods up room by room.

Guest jlr248

Oh my god. I just read the list of common items of quarantine concern. Pretty exhaustive eh? Seems like just about everything worries those at Aussie immigration. Better get me marigolds back on. No direct mention of sheepskin but lots of other things to consider.

Thanks for the info x

Guest Adelaide_bound

A sheepskin rug will have been treated as part of the curing process (so that it basically doesn't rot whilst sitting on your bedroom floor), so will ultimately be ok - its cured leather, which is one of the things allowed in (like leather clothing), if it has a manufacturing/care label on it all the better, if you got it from an independent or small business you could ask them to send a letter saying it has been treated, but all sheepskin rugs will have been treated and AQIS will know this - the only difference being if it still has feet/head on it (as this is a little more unusual as it were and therefore lends itself to not being treated, and there can be bits and pieces of animal left behind. Nice.).

I'm taking an antique fur and have the original receipt from the Fur shop from 1920, which apparently will make it fine (no feet or head on thank goodness) and a wooden rocking horse with real horse hair on it, that I have a letter from the maker from stating that the hair has been treated and how (and the wood).

The shippers that I have spoken to have said this will be fine, although AQIS will open up the boxes to have a look at these two things specifically (but then you pay the inspection fee anyway I've been led to believe, whether they check everything or nothing, you pay a minimum of A$200 or something and then x amount for every time period over the minimum, and as we are taking under the minimum amount anyway, we will pay for it all whether they look at it all or not, so they may as well open it up and have a squiz as far as we're concerned.

I have emailed AQIS but haven't received a response yet, so don't know if I emailed the right people, but I've been told this info by 4 different shipping companies now (and I guess they have experience of it all). Worst case scenario is that it has be treated (fumigated/radiated/whatever for that item), which is a couple of hundred $ per item, or they can destroy it - some people have said this is at no cost, others have been told by their shippers there is a cost for this, so whether AQIS make it up as they go along or some shippers are pulling a fast one is anyone's guess.

When (if?) anyone gets back to me I'll update you with regards to allow bits and pieces in.

Guest jen81

I shipped over a sheepskin rug this time last year, there was no problems with it.:biggrin:

Guest Adelaide_bound
    I shipped over a sheepskin rug this time last year, there was no problems with it.:biggrin:

Cheers for letting us know:wink: