Guest pixie7

2 or 3 months rent up front?

Guest pixie7

Hope you guys will be able to help.

We are arriving in Adelaide on 10th Jan and have 10 days holiday accomodation booked (can extend this ) so we will be aiming to get a short term rental asap, we have been searching and will be in touch with rental agencies but I was wondering did people need to offer 2 or 3 months rent up front to secure the property or did you not need to or what?

Just not sure if we should offer this straight away or wait and see how we go?

Thanks

We offered three months up front...... and got the rental! I am sure it helps in the decision as the property owner has the final say apparantly.. Also gave us one less thing to think about for - as there are lots of things to sort when you first arrive. Good Luck.......:wink:

Guest Ryan T. Lion

If you sense lots of competition - then offering a couple of months up front could help (you'll need 2 weeks rent up front to secure it anyway - and 6 weeks as a security bond).

Both cheap and expensive houses can be in high demand - and I've quoted this before, and I'll probably get frowned at for saying it - but a realtor we asked said that anything over $400/wk won't be stupidly in demand. Her words - not mine!

If you're thinking of 3 months up front, assuming a $350/wk property, you'll need a bond of $2100 and an up-front of $4200 = $6300.

Ouch.

It doesn't always come down to money - references (if you have them) are just as important, as is being nicely presented during the viewing (the owner gets the final say but they'll probably just go with the realtor's recommendation!)

HTH

It isn't as hard as lots of people make out - there are quiet and busy patches too.

Think if you check with the rental tribunal, they should not be able to take that much up front..

Think I remeber around 6 weeks is the most....

4 weeks bond and two weeks rent in advance...

You may offer it but you don't need to..

Guest Ryan T. Lion
    Think if you check with the rental tribunal, they should not be able to take that much up front..

Think I remeber around 6 weeks is the most....

4 weeks bond and two weeks rent in advance...

You may offer it but you don't need to..

You don't have to offer anything - it's an incentive to the owner for picking you.

Family A want to pay the $350/wk, they've got references and they seem nice.

Family B are the same, but they'll offer to pay 3 months rent in advance as a good will gesture.

Owner goes with Family B.

Simples.