Guest leptokurtic

What does English Grammar say about...

Guest leptokurtic

I have been directed here from another forum with the hint that I can find real savants gushing with a never ending stream of erudite knowledge :wink:

Question:

Let us say I insist on my name being written as 'leptokurtic'. How do you start a sentence if you want the first word to be 'leptokurtic'? Do you start with lowercase? Suppose I use the handle '3leptokurtic'. Now what? I know that according to grammar rules you can't start a sentence with a digit. My own hunch is that if you want to be completely grammatically correct, you would say "The user 'leptokurtic' says...". or "The user '3leptokurtic' asked...". You simply WON'T start with leptokurtic. Does anybody see any scenario where this might fail and one would be forced to start with 'leptokurtic'??? Can somebody even insist on his username (is it a proper noun?), or even real life name, being spelt all in lower case?? Or would that in itself be grammatically incorrect?

I guess I could ask this on one of the grammar forums out there on the internet... but where would be the fun in that???? :idea:

Guest ReginaPhalange

Erm, *scratches head* I would say that being a proper noun, you can probably get away with starting a sentence in lower case. I'm no expert by any means though, and I imagine this kind of thing would get up the nose of most pedants! I think your dilemma is a sign of the times, were your identity can be whatever you want it to be (with or without capital letters!). :err:

As the only person who could possibly be interested in what is being said would be yourself, you should start the sentence with "I" - problem solved!