chrisfen46

passport expiary

Hi there does anyone know if you have to have a certain amount of years life left on passport to travel with a pr visa, mine runs out in 2 yrs time along with my eldest sons , just wounderd if you had to have 5 yrs on it or is it ok as long as its valid ..

Guest Helchops

Ours runs out in three...

I think you can apply to DIAC to put a stamp in your new passport, or else travel with a new and your old one - any Visas granted are electronic anyway, so if you have your new British Passport and your old, you should be fine.

Guest gymnast11

i just renewed all ours as they only had 4 months left on them, and when i asked they said you needed 12 months, so i think you will be ok x michelle x

Guest Mishkelly

Hi. As long as the passport is valid a PR visa can be linked to it. When you renew your passport, let DIAC know and they will link your visa to the passport. The travel component on your PR visa is valid for 5 years and you need to make sure it is valid to be able to re-enter Australia.

It doesn't matter how long you have left on the passport, Australia will let you arrive and depart (as long as you have a valid visa). Other countries you travel to may want your passport to have at least 6 months left on it though.

Guest adelaideinjuly

so can i depart australia with expired passport but valid visa ?

Guest Mishkelly

You can leave without a valid passport, but you may not be able to enter the country you are travelling to. Most countries (if not all) require you to have a valid passport to enter. For Australia you need a valid passport to enter. So, you should always ensure you have a valid passport before you travel.

3yrs is plenty to have on your passport.

When your passport runs out, you just fill out a form and send it with a copy of the photo page of the passport to your local DIAC office. They will transfer the e-visa over to the new passport number. Think you have to pay extra if you want a sticker in the new passport though.

Hi all - just a note, I had my PR visa label in a UK passport than expired in June. I got my new UK passport and when I travelled to Argentina last month, I had hassles at immigration both leaving and re-entering Sydney Airport as whilst I was assured my visa was electronically linked to my new UK passport, it wasn't - when I left Sydney the girl said she had now linked it and there would be no further problems, but when I went to leave Kuala Lumpar to come back to Aus I had the same trouble again. Luckily the nice guy from Aus immigration there made some phone calls and checked it out, but I was lucky I was in no rush at the gate as it took 20 mins or so.

So my advice - always go back to the department of immigration and get a new visa label if your UK passport expires before you next travel - and always carry your old passport with you!

Cheers and happy travels!

STP