Sign in to follow this  
Guest Leanne & Mark

Re-Training, UK, or OZ??

Guest Leanne & Mark

Marks application is based around communications work, (more datacoms/fibre optics, than telecoms) He is current pretty high up at what he does, and has been put on a project management course that is world recognized... Cool, if he can get a pm job. :D

However we (and all the other bt engineers) have noticed there is very few jobs in this field in adelaide, most are in melbourne or sydney. Plus we've noticed, alot of the electricians seem to fit data aswell. So we thought with the ££ from sale of the house Mark, could do his Electrians course, and further his chances of getting a job.:idea:

I know that once we arrive he has to sit for his licence, but with no formal training in electrics would it be a good idea to get his uk certs first (if so what does he need?) or just go on a full course out there. (would it be too many $$, being on a temp visa)

Either that or give up completely and do a tiling course??????????:chatterbox:

Guest Django

I read an article in A&NZ mag about this very issue.:GEEK:

If you have a few pounds behind you, you could go out on a student visa. He could training to get the needed qualification out there. The down side as I see it is that he could only work 20 hours a week during term time.:skeptical:

It isn't the best pathway to Oz but it would get you there. Once the qualification is gained then you are already over there in the sun and Mark would then be free to work full time and apply for a perm visa.

The other way is of course gain the qualification here and hope that it is still 'in demand' when achieved and do all this in wet and cold Britain. :confused:

Pete

Guest Leanne & Mark

You can do a trade course and qualify here in a matter of weeks for a couple of grand!!! Bit scarey really !! :shocked:

We had looked at the student visa, but that's are last option if the SIR fails, because of the work issue.

I think a trade course here and convert it out there may be our best option. In fact i may join him !!:swoon:.................... Maybe !!

(fingers crossed he'll find a job as a project manager, and won't need it)

Leanne

Guest Django
    fingers crossed he'll find a job as a project manager, and won't need it

Well lets hope so. At least you have a few options. It might be a case of getting a sparky job to begin with and keeping an eye out for a projects job. ;)

The important thing is to get out there. I haven't a clue what I'm going to do and will probably still be in the same position while sitting in the plane. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Pete