Guest Shmaggle

Need sone opinions on the way to go with visa....

Guest Shmaggle

...from you helpful peeps on here! Which is the best way to go...apply for a permanent visa via me as a nurse, or go along with hubbie's 3 year job offer (job at Flinders Uni) to get a visa via him...

My real question is what difference does it make when we are there, if we are technically there short-term for 3 years or if we have permanent visa? I know someone said on a thread that school fees etc may be an issue for people who are there 'temporarily', as our kids are really overseas students? What if you come on a three year job contract, can you apply for permanent visa when there, and would I be able to work if we come out with his job? How about renting etc, if it looks on paper that you are only going to be there with a 3 year job contract would that go against us?

All opinions very welcome!!! Am missing Adelaide since our trip in August...

...from you helpful peeps on here! Which is the best way to go...apply for a permanent visa via me as a nurse, or go along with hubbie's 3 year job offer (job at Flinders Uni) to get a visa via him...

My real question is what difference does it make when we are there, if we are technically there short-term for 3 years or if we have permanent visa? I know someone said on a thread that school fees etc may be an issue for people who are there 'temporarily', as our kids are really overseas students? What if you come on a three year job contract, can you apply for permanent visa when there, and would I be able to work if we come out with his job? How about renting etc, if it looks on paper that you are only going to be there with a 3 year job contract would that go against us?

All opinions very welcome!!! Am missing Adelaide since our trip in August...

Hi there

Which visa has Hubby been offered? It sounds like he has been offered a temporary subclass 457 visa? If so:-

1. Have the employers offered to pay any relocation expenses?

2. Have they offered LAFHA? (Lving Away From Home Allowance - ie a tax-perk.)

3. Have they suggested that Hubby should obtain a positive skills assessment? If not, what is Hubby's occupation, please?

This is important because unless he gets a positive skills assessment, it won't be possible to upgrade him to Permanent Residence quickly.

Presumably, if you are the main visa applicant then you would apply for sc 176 cisas, sponsored by South Australia? That would cost more up-front and it would also take longer up-front than an application for a sc 457 visa for Hubby, plus you would have to pay all of the costs by yourselves and there would be no entitlement to LAFHA.

Therefore I think that your decision should be driven by which option is going to be more attractive financially.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Shmaggle

Thanks for that Gill, great info! He is a scientist, the job is post-doc research fellow, although he has started teacher training here as he was made redundant in May when a large Pharma company shed many people in Kent (mentioning no names!!)...

Guest guest3462

Well gollywobbler is the expert, but.....

We were in a similar situation 3 years ago and decided against applying for a pr visa on my nursing and we came on Richards 457 4 year visa. (from flinders hospital) we then really struggled to get everything together for my nursing registration and had to rely n using rich's skills assessment to get the 176 application. Couldn't get sponsored as they only sponsor consultants and they made him retrain!!! It has taken us almost 3 years and a lot of frustration and heartache to transfer to pr.

What I would seriously consider doing if you can afford it is applying for both the 457 visa (which gets you out here quickly!) AND the 176 under your skills at the same time or as soon as you get here. This will enable your pr application to be processed quicker and could only take a few months. only thing with this is that you have do go offshore to activate the visa which is costly. You shouldn't have to do 2 medicals as it will be less than a year before they expire.

Get your skills assessment and registration started now as it can take months for the nursing board to pull their finger out and try getting in touch with flinders to get a job secured before you come. ( they may even sponsor you) but regardless of anything yur rego must be done early so you can start work as soon as you get here.

As I said I'm no expert by any means but if we had our time again.....

All the best

Julia

Guest shella_n

We were on a 457 with no LAFHA and financially it was very hard as we got no childcare rebate - I would defo say to come on PR if it will be the same for you. School fees are the same in SA whether you are on 457 or PR but if u got to university you are treated as international if on 457. We had no problems getting a rental but overall we felt very vulnerable on a 457 knowing that if anything happened to hubbies job we would have 28 days to leave or get another sponsored job.

Hi Julia (churchj)

I am not an expert! Please perish that thought! The only visas where I have studied every detail, know most of the legislation off by heart and can put my paws on the case-law as well are the visas in the Parent group.

That said, I don't think that the OP should necessarily go for a 457 visa in her Hubby's name.

I think she needs to work out ALL the options here. If Flinders Uni are offering an attractive relocation package then it may be work grabbing that in the short term, even though it need not be the eventual route to PR.

I don't want to be too "black & white" with the lady untl we know a bit more about the package being offered to Hubby. If that it is attractive (eg if Flinders Uni will pay the airfares and they will provide frree accommodation for the first month or two) then I'd want to think about an overall visa strategy that will get as much help as poss from the Uni whilst perhaps making a separate application for a sc 176 in his wife's mame as well. I agree with you that the lady would do well to think about getting a skills assessment in her own right.

Another possibility is if the Uni could be talked into an immediate RSMS 119 visa for Hubby instead of a 457? It is very unlikely that Flinders University would prove to be an Employer From Hell, so I'd not be worroed about an RSMS visa for this couple.

At this stage, though, I think that either we need more information from the OP or she should talk to a Registered Migration Agent aabout all the possible permutations and options. I was almost going to suggest the latter until I read yours and Sheila's replies.

However, if the lady talks to an RMA then I would suggest ignoring and avoiding the "free initial chat" idea. The only thing she'd be sold during a "free chat" is snake oil! George Lombard in Sydney would be my own choice of RMA for this lady. I'd suggest him because the lady could e-mail him with all the information in advance and then speak to him on the phone. I believe that he charges about $150 AUD for up to an hour on the phone. If he has all the necessary info by e-mail first then discussing the whole thing with George would be worthwhile, I reckon.

http://www.austimmigration.com.au

That is the URL for George Lombard Consultancy. At the moment, the link is refusing to work on my PC.

Cheers

Gill

Go with your Nursing Perm Visa,then you have no worries about being asked to leave plus all the perks that come with it .

Elaine

It would help if you mentioned which visa type your husband is being sponsored for rather than his occupation. The visa type is the key (because of different conditons etc), although if you're seriously planning to move to the other end of the world you will presumably have researched the different types and what each means. From what you've described I'd go with yours rather than your husband's if getting a PR isn't too difficult for you.

Jim