UK Pension (How many years NI contributions)

minty

Hi all,

How many years national insurance contributions do you need to make to be be eligable for a UK pension and if you emigrate to Aus before you have reached the amount of years required can you continue to pay your NI contributions from Aus to get to the required amount of yoears.

Then also in Aus, how many years of contributions do you have to make there and would a person on a perminent visa/or a citizen be entitled to an Aus state pension (if there is such a thing) and if so can you hold a UK and Aus state pension at the same time.

I looked for ages and couldnt find this.

So it looks like you have to make 30 years in contributions and you can keep paying class 2 contributions yearly when living/working abroad to get to the 30 years.

Anyone know about the Aussie state pension? if they have one? and if a migrant would qualify and if so after how long?

Working for the UK Government helps to know where to look. You would still get a UK Pension if you had paid in for less than 30 years it just wouldn't be a full one. However if you pay Super in Oz I think that goes towards an Oz Pension. If I am correct then the more Super you pay the bigger the Oz pension. Put that together with the UK Pension and hopefully you'll be ok.

Andy Williams is the man for this!

As I understand it a man is 44 years and a woman is about 30

As the UK dies not have an agreement restate pensions living here causes a problem with obtaining the increase on a state pension.. Different issue there but an e petition is going round in that regard.

I have just had a letter saying I am 600 pounds short as has my partner.

As I understand it as long as we pay one we will get a married pension until one if us dies, then the last one standing goes back to a single one.

So woman live longer, we will pay her NI contributions and draw that one.

You don't get two pensions as far as I am aware...

I thought it had been changed to 29 years for both men and women.

Hey Nick

Changes were made from 44yrs Men and 39yrs Women to 30yrs across the board:

How many qualifying years do you need?

The number of qualifying years you need for a full basic State Pension depends on your age and whether you're a man or a woman.

Men born before 6 April 1945 usually need 44 qualifying years.

Women born before 6 April 1950 usually need 39 qualifying years.

Men born on or after 6 April 1945 need 30 qualifying years.

Women born on or after 6 April 1950 need 30 qualifying years.

See here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/StatePension/DG_10014671