Adelaide areas

Guest keith&ju

Guest keith&ju

Hi all. We are looking to come out to Adelaide early next year(when the current mortgage term finally expires). We have been looking at where people are mainly renting and I was wondering, whats wrong with North Adelaide? Everybody seems to be south! Is the north an undeclared war zone, liable to extreme flooding, earthquakes?

Guest shella_n

Good question!!! I've been wondering the same thing, there are a few of us in the north but mist people automatically head south - I'm not sure if they even looking the north. Plus things about the south = cheaper housing & nicer beaches. Plus things about north = much shorter commute to cbd. That's it in a nutshell as far as I'm concerned.

Hopefully (?) this thread won't turn into the usual north/ south debate - there are plus and minus things about the area just depends on your lifestyle, where you work etc etc ad to which will suit you best.

Guest keith&ju

Ok. Little Britain's not a good thing! Despite that, if your job hasnt got you tied down to an office, travel into the centre isnt going to be high on your importance list.

The beach bit is interesting. But if youre in the north youre closer to Yorke peninsular. Doesnt that have better beaches?

After living in Mawson Lakes for 5 years, I have to say the main thing I have noticed is...... it's colder..... It's not necessarily a south thing, but living closer to the sea and closer to the opening of the gulf (which is further south), means that when there is a sea breeze it's really quite cold... Don't get me wrong on a hot day it makes it really pleasant, but on an average day it can just feel chilly. I don't think you even need air-con if your down south and reasonably close to the sea. Everything else about the north and south is subjective.

My only advice is live nearer your job, saves a lifetime in the car.... if you can work from home then the city is your oyster, different parts of the city offer different lifestyle choices.

Guest keith&ju

Thanks Rob for that one. At the moment though,as we are living in England and only have two seasons(winter and July), I'm sure a cool breeze would be nice. Although a couple of years on...

I can vouch for North Adelaide being a great place to live, because we lived there for 13 years (1981-1993). A quick search on Google should confirm that for you, so don't take my word for it. It's within walking distance of the City of Adelaide and is surrounded by lovely parklands and beautiful open paddocks (opposite to where we lived on Le Fevre Terrace. Again, Google it and see for yourself), which adds to its magic! It's pricey though, so if you're on a tight budget, I'm afraid North Adelaide might be out of your price-range. However, if you're into renovations, you might be lucky enough to find a nice little do-er upper! We also lived at West Lakes for seven years, which is another great place to settle down, and is about 7kms out of Adelaide. When we lived there (1974-1981) it was still very new, and there were big promotional billboards everywhere, stating: 'Come to West Lakes and Take a Year Round Holiday at Home'. As the name suggests, it's centred around a series of lakes (all man-made and all gorgeous and all bustling with various water-based life (both on top (club-rowing; water-skiing; dragon-boat practise etc) and underneath (fish of all kinds)). It's also very close to the beaches of Tennyson/Grange/Henley Beach/Semaphore/Largs Bay, so, if you're into water-sports and activities of all kinds, you should maybe have a look out that way, too. Property is a bit cheaper at West Lakes than in North Adelaide, and well worth having a look before you make your decision. There are plenty of other areas to look at, but the ones I've mentioned are our two favourites. We've lived in and loved both of them for a good number of years, so have a (possibly) biased opinion about them. The further North you go from Adelaide, the cheaper the property market gets. The same applies to the South. Truly, you'll be spoilt for choice as there's no end of attractive suburbs to choose from, but you're the only one who must make the choice as to which place suits you. Good luck!!

Hi all. We are looking to come out to Adelaide early next year(when the current mortgage term finally expires). We have been looking at where people are mainly renting and I was wondering, whats wrong with North Adelaide? Everybody seems to be south! Is the north an undeclared war zone, liable to extreme flooding, earthquakes?

The choice of beaches and the relatively cheaper property are big draws for the south, plus the proximity of great countryside all down the peninsula and plenty of vineyards. Beachside suburbs west of the cbd are generally more expensive, and the further north you go the flatter and more arid the area becomes and the further you are from the beach (again, generalising). Some great newer developments in the north, though.

Lots of good suburbs north and south (and one or two dodgy ones in both), but the lure of the beach lifestyle shouldn't be underestimated when it comes to newly arrived Brits.

A few of us look east and head for the hills - yet more attractions up here!

Don't be in any hurry to explore and decide which area best suits your needs, there's plenty to choose from!

Jim

Guest barkers18

ah the old north / south divide, even happens on the otherside of the world (being a brummie i'm used to being forgotten in the middle)

We live down south but i've worked up north and there's good and bad about both, but to be honest most people i know love living in and around adelaide be it north or south. It's so easy to get around and no where is that far away, when you get over have a look around you'll find somewhere that's good for you guys.

enjoy it, you'll love it.

Guest Ryan T. Lion

I absolutely positively could not give a rat's a$$ whether I'm North or South. It's all Adelaide. It's all Australia.

Can't remember the last time I looked to a compass to make me happy.

I live in the South, been up North - got good friends in the hills....... It's all good.

I absolutely positively could not give a rat's a$$ whether I'm North or South. It's all Adelaide.

Actually, that's not exactly true.... Adelaide is the bit in the middle, often referred to as the CBD (City Business District). The rest of the suburbs all have their own names - I only ever say I live in "Adelaide" to those people who don't know the place - otherwise when I complete my address on a form or whatever, the word doesn't even appear. Always surprises me when people that choose to live 45 mins to an hour car trip outside of Adelaide (in whatever direction) still say they live "in Adelaide"! Took me about as long as that to drive to London from where I used to live, but I never said I lived in London!!!

Whoever it was above (Aussie Rob I think) who said that proximity to work is the main thing really hit the nail on the head. If you were working in Lonsdale you wouldn't want to live in Golden Grove. If you were working at Edinburgh Park, you wouldn't want to live in Aldinga, easy as that! If you don't know where you'll be working, don't limit your choices by living too far either way until you do.

Guest Ryan T. Lion
I absolutely positively could not give a rat's a$$ whether I'm North or South. It's all Adelaide.

Actually, that's not exactly true.... Adelaide is the bit in the middle, often referred to as the CBD (City Business District). The rest of the suburbs all have their own names

I was speaking from the point of view of the OP who's still in the UK. You're speaking from years of living here. All those suburbs thatall have names are all suburbs of Adelaide.

Adelaide is urban, the surrounding towns are sub urban. Semiurbs doesn't have the same ring to it.

Claiming that you don't live in Adelaide unless you live in the CBD is...... interesting.

Guest Guest5035
[

You're speaking from years of living here. All those suburbs thatall have names are all suburbs of Adelaide.

QUOTE]

Thats what living in the capital of South Australia does to onesellf, it sends you funny..

stevo