Sign in to follow this  
Guest andylynnchriskirst

Car Insurance

Guest andylynnchriskirst

Hello, I will need a car when we get to Adelaide. Have been looking on the internet for some ideas on prices. However, I have no idea how much insurance would cost.

I'm 19, been driving 2 years, no accidents, and would be looking for a small economical car.

I've also heard that they don't really have an MOT or equivalent?

Just would like to get some ideas of the costs of running a car! :)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you,

Chris.

Guest Guest5035

Bring over proof of your past 2 years insurances, might not make any difference though, but fully comp will be in the range of a couple of thousand, the youth of today get stung, no matter about the car size etc etc, try out

aami.com.au or sgic.com.au or raa.com.au

petrol this morning is around $1.48 a litre, rego(road tax) around $550, no mot is req, 6 month check/oil change $120

stevo

Guest andylynnchriskirst

Thanks stevo for the quick response! Sounds very similar to in England then! Is there anything that can help bringing down the insurance for the under 25's?

Thank you for the sites as well :smile:.

Chris

Guest Guest5035
    Is there anything that can help bringing down the insurance for the under 25's?

Thank you for the sites as well :smile:.

Chris

walking or push biking...

stevo

Guest andylynnchriskirst
    walking or push biking...

stevo

Haha, great! I guess driving is expensive wherever you go then! :skeptical: Thanks for your help though! :)

Guest the garnetts

get the car in your dads name, and get third party we did this as advised by insurance company, my son is 17 and just got his P plates cost $250,

Guest Ryan T. Lion
    Is there anything that can help bringing down the insurance for the under 25's?

Chris

Like most insurance companies you can accept a higher excess, or raise the age of other drivers (i.e. if you say no-one else will drive the car if they're under 40 etc...)

Insurance companies like car ports, locked garages etc... If you're near one where it could "usually" be parked (cough-cough).

Proof of no-claims from the UK will be honoured here too, well it is with Virgin Money anyway.

You can usually get that proof from your existing UK insurer - but only AFTER you've ended your insurance with them - and it can take a few weeks to materialise - so get them to send it to someone in the UK with a scanner, they can then email it to you. I think Virgin wanted this within 2 weeks of my policy starting, but I'm not sure.

Finally, I'm not sure if you can get a small economical car in South Australia....... The legal minimum seems to be at least a 3.0 V6 generating no less than 55dB total loudness from each exhaust.

Guest andylynnchriskirst

Thanks for your help everyone, much appreciated :smile:. It all helps for when we finally move out there.

Chris