Guest adelec

Washing machines

Guest adelec

Hi

How much are washing machines generally in Adelaide?

Our furniture and stuff is being picked up for shopping next week, and we are leaving for Adelaide on the 1st Nov. Our washing machine / tumble dryer has just packed up tonight, and now we have to decide if we buy one here and ship it, or abandon it here and buy one when we arrive, but we don't know how much these things cost?

has anyone bought a washer / dryer in Adelaide lately?

Thanks

Guest barkers18

We recently bought both (from the good guys) washing machine was about $600 and dryer was $300. Both are whirlpool so decent brands as our previous top loader we bought cheap from Big W nobody would repair or service as the parts would take ages to get here.

We bought both too from The Good Guys, very reasonably priced, $600 dollars for washing machine, and again about $300 for tumble dryer. Washing machine is a front loader too......there are still alot of top loader machines here. We bought quite alot of stuff from Good Guys, and they gave us a good discount.

Guest carolyn

i would buy back there if you have space in container and you are better off buying seperate washer and dryer ,

Its half the price back there compared to here !

Guest Adelaide_bound

Not really Carolyn, from what the people who are quoting prices say. We paid £120 on a real bottom of the line basic tumble dryer here in the UK about 3 years ago, which at the current exchange rate is $180 - thats for a really bad one tbh. Add on the cost of shipping, which the removals guy would be in the region of £150 for the space a tumbe dryer would take up, so that's another $225, or $405 in total. So even if the people above are buying bottom of the range tumble dryers, its still cheaper to buy one there rather than ship one over (not forgetting if it was purchased now it might attract duty for not being 12 months old),and it might give more bargaining power when buying anything else needed from the shop as you are buying a bigger stash and therefore they might take more money off the total for you.

If you have your heart set on a particular brand though, maybe just google the prices (eg Dyson I believe are a lot more expensive in Aus than here) in both countries, and add on the shipping costs, to see which is cheaper. If its not a lot cheaper here I would very much be inclined to just get it in Oz, like I say it gives you a bit more bargaining power in the shops when you get there (plus, of course, I love shopping lol)

Guest lippy

I just bought a new one - $750. Keith Bowden electricals - price you see is the price you pay and were cheaper for the same model than The Good Guys, staff were friendlier also.

My last washer dryer only lasted 3yrs and I never used the dryer?!

Guest adelec

Thanks everyone for your advice. The blooming thing just randomly started working again! So we managed to get all the clothes that were stuck in it out! I think it'll be missing out on a new life in Adelaide though. The Good Guys seem to be the way to go.