Are your kids finding school far too easy?

Guest DebbieLo

Just my opinion from someone who has been educated in the Australian school system and then the UK system from 15-post graduate Uni Level. School in oz was always too easy for me it got to the point in primary school I would be finishing my work in less than half the time it was 'supposed' to take and the teachers would order me to help the other kids in the class(Im owed alot of money in back pay from the aussie government lol). Anyway it got so bad that by the last year of primary school I was teaching myself english in the corridor using the dictionary because I had worked my way through the entire primary curriculum and the teacher didnt know what to do with me.It got a bit better at high school but with english assignments like analysing disney films I was quickly turned off and began loosing interest in school and my grades dropped because quite frankly I couldn't be bothered to attend or listen anymore. The Australian school system never did anything for me as a high flyer. We then moved back to the UK and OMG it was a struggle. I was placed into top sets and it was SO HARD but I LOVED IT because it pushed me. That is what I was I'm smart and academic its what I thrive on and its what I love and if your children are anything like me then regardless of this let them be children stuff they will want to be pushed. I hated school esp primary so much in oz because it just made me feel alone and isolated because I was much further ahead of my peers. This refusal to stream in the aussie school system is rediculous. In a few years I want children and I'm extremely anxious about hearing the system does not to have appeared to changed in 10-15 years. Education is supposed to help you meet your fullest potential and I was really let down by my early schooling in Australia. Its all ironed out in the wash now and I have a masters degree but in my heart of hearts believe thats due to moving back to the UK and I feel I would not have achieved what I have in public aussie schools. My opinion is private school if you can afford it, finding a school which will agree to skip your child a grade and tutoring.

Dear Lisa,

As a teacher in both countries (currently in a secondary school in the UK), I would say that discipline (lack of) is one of the main reasons for students not achieving their potential. The teacher's job is very difficult with trying to cater for the high achievers and the less capable - even in streamed UK classes, there is quite a disparity in capabilities - but high expectations from teachers and students should always be a priority.

Unfortunately, the government systems undermine the teachers’ powers to discipline in a way that affects the students' behaviour - they really don't seem to be affected by detention / phone calls home/ being placed onto an electronic behaviour watch system, so our disciplinary procedures are woeful.

I do agree that by the time students in Oz are in Year 11, the system is more rigorous and they want to achieve their SACE qualifications so they HAVE to start working!

Also, for someone who has a Masters Degree, your lack of punctuation and grammar is surprising, despite being self taught. 'Loosing' should be 'losing' and English is always a capital 'E.'

My own children have all been state educated in the UK and they are doing extremely well - two are deputy heads and one an architect, but I feel that they would have achieved just as highly in Oz too.

I think students wherever they are, have to take some responsibility for their own learning as well as lots of input and encouragement from parents.

As for Oz schooling, I guess it is worth checking the SACE results, visiting as many schools as you can in your area and as Diane says, look for schools which offer the 'SHIP' program.

Guest loopylisa

I'm going to forgive your irrelevant comment about my spag as I am assuming it's to do with your teacher tendency but personally, unlike you it would appear I prefer to switch off at the end of the day or when I'm not in work mode so things slip. I was just trying to share my experiences of both sides of the fence and didn't realise spag was such an issue on a forum. I'm usually aware of typos, spag and grammar mistakes but I'm not going to waste my energy on correcting mistakes on a forum. I suggest you focus on the kids you do have and leave me to my unpolished but well-meaning contributions.