Guest w.lomas

work expectations don't know whether to stay or go

Guest w.lomas

I need an honest opinion about what the carpentry trade in Adelaide is like at the moment and is there enough work to keep me going long term as there doesn't seem to be any around im considering whether to stay or go

Looked on seek this morning and theres about 15 jobs advertised, haven't got anything myself yet but not really tried, i need to get my builders licence after Christmas and then start looking seriously. I have been here 3 months and I see new houses been built all over especially along the western beach think its a case of getting in with a small builder.

Im not a chippy but a spark (and not there yet) but have heard there is quite a bit of building work going on and some big projects starting next year. I guess its not the best time of year to be looking either. Hope you find something after xmas and it all works out.

Guest Lizzy

Hi, we arrived in early November , in our honest opinion There is a misconception that there is 'so much work for tradies' in Australia. my husband is also a carpenter but been working for over 30 years in the Uk as a kitchen fitter . Having said that He starts his job tomorrow- but we were very nearly going home - without a job our money would have run out by about mid feb !!

We have found out everything shuts down especially for tradies from about mid December to now !! Everyone said wait til January !! I hope you stayed & you've found something, but our advise if your a 'tradie' don't come just before Christmas, come ealier or wait til january ! Good Luck !

My son in law is a kitchen fitter.

In the 3 years that he was here he had so much work...sometimes 5 kitchen on the go. He bought panel saws and edge banders and had a small factory...absolutely swamped with work and his problem was getting reliable people to work with him.

They left 3 months ago but not because of shortage of work.

It is so difficult to get yourself started. He first worked for Jag kitchens...maybe worth a visit to see if they are hiring (They are in Anzac highway)?

Tamara

Guest Barney Rubble
    Hi, we arrived in early November , in our honest opinion There is a misconception that there is 'so much work for tradies' in Australia. my husband is also a carpenter but been working for over 30 years in the Uk as a kitchen fitter . Having said that He starts his job tomorrow- but we were very nearly going home - without a job our money would have run out by about mid feb !!

We have found out everything shuts down especially for tradies from about mid December to now !! Everyone said wait til January !! I hope you stayed & you've found something, but our advise if your a 'tradie' don't come just before Christmas, come ealier or wait til january ! Good Luck !

That is fairly accurate, especially if in the domestic building game.

If they don't all stop at the same time then the whole process gets rattled, at least once you get started it will be rare to be sent home due to the rain :idea:

What sort of carpentry ? First & second fix, project construction sites ?

Guest Lizzy

Hi Tamara,

Thnks for your reply, good to know Will definitely keep jag kitchens in mind - have also just stayed at your friend judi's place , I have a friend coming out from the Uk hopefully in the next couple of months, i think roos rentals is booked - so was going to recommend yours, may get to meet you :)

Hi

My husband is a tradie (roofer). Work has been good but there has also been the really crappy times with no work. My husband more than me felt like going back when there was not a lot of work. This was the time after it took so long to get a licence and insurance and then Boral said sorry mate no work. Here it is not what you know it is who you know and we still struggle with that. My husband is still roofing but has been working in Port Pirie and staying away. So be it. He was originally talking about working in Melbourne and coming home every two weeks, so Port Pirie for a couple of days is a breeze. As long as you are prepared to travel, sometimes grit your teeth with the laid back approach and be quite pushy (which is difficult if you are not that way), you will have no problems.

We were also that work is supposed to be picking up March time for tradies (don't know why)

Good luck with it.