Guest Richard & Amanda

Water- fact or fiction?

Guest Richard & Amanda

Hiya,

Is this true or false?

I'm not sure so hopefully those already down under will be able to assist in this dilema

which has had many interesting discussions within the family and web research. The latter proving inconclusive according to a chap in France.

The question then....

"Which way does the water disappear down the plug hole in Oz, clockwise or anti-clockwise?"

Is is the same as us or is it the other way round.

Hannah's teacher at school has asked when we EVENTUALLY arrive to send the details back to her. This got me thinking.....

I would be grateful if anybody could shed any light and then we can experiment ourselves once out there.....funny the things which play on your mind heheheheh.

:huh::biglaugh:

Hello Had to go and replenish my glass of wine so checked with kitchen sink it seems to go anti clockwise here - but will check tomorrow just in case it's too many glasses of red!!

Guest Richard & Amanda

Interesting, so it must be true then!

Yeah I would be grateful once the wine subsides if you can double check :biglaugh:

Guest Matt & Suzi

I have read a post on here about this and apparently it is to do with how your bath/sink is plumbed in, as to which way your water goes down the plug hole.

that might be difficult as I work in a cellar door and any opened wines have to be changed every second day(or taken home by staff)!!!

Guest Richard & Amanda

Hiya Suzi,

that is what I heard.

when we did research on the web there is some bloke in France on U-tube with 2 sinks next to each other performing the experiment.

The water goes clockwise in one sink and anti-clockwise in the other. He states it is down to plumbing and nothing at all to do with the equator.

Very strange! I suppose when we complete the 12000 miles or so we will know for definate :).

Guest Unch&dougs

It does change for standing water. It relates to the relative rotation of the nearest pole - see the link below based on the Coriolis effect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect

This was shown in both the TV programmes "Pole to Pole" and more recently "Long Way Down" when they got to Kenya and showed it does go a different way dependent on which hemisphere you are in.

I think the effect is independent of the alcoholic intake of the observer.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I think it is down to plumbing, I had a shower in the uk that went down the opposite way (whichver that was) to everything else!

hang on let me go and fill the sink up...back soon,,.................................

anticlockwise in the kitchen!

sarah

Guest graandjac

:biglaugh:A While back Ewan (the actor bloke)...? did his bike ride across africa, On one program they got to the equator......standing on one side the water in a bucket went through a whole one way....when they crossed the equator in one step it then went in the opposite direction, and yes (coulden't believe this one when they stood on the equator it went straight down). So i guess the answer is yes it changes direction. Cheers Graham

Hiya,

I researched this myself when i went to Oz a few years ago!!! It is the opposite way to here. Northern hemisphere goes one way, Southern the other.

I thought it was to do with the gravitational pull of whichever particular hemisphere you are in - each being the opposite.:wacko:

So there you go, clear as mud?!!!..........