Guest mark&rachel

Rental Bond

Guest mark&rachel

Hello All

I know this is a hotly debated topic.

We have recently moved out of a rental and to my amazement they want money from us and no bond back.

Some things i can accept but some are truly amazing.

They want money for dead plants (even though i told them they were blown out in high winds)

Money for damage to vinyl floor which is wear and tear due to the cheapness of it even discoloured lights.

Does anyone know the definition of 'wear and tear' and is it worth disputing it?

Guest guest569

I would say replace the plants and then take phot's of the floofing and contact OCBA.

we also got ripped off by Agents! They gave us small water bills......during our 12 month rental and then presented us with a whopping bill when we gave up the rental... stating that water charges had risen by 50%. We should have fought it but ended up losing half our bond... then our daughter broke her lease on a rental... and they put the rent price up....and didnt conduct viewings to get new tenants... so they also lost their bond! two agents, two experiences.... sheer conmen! I would say if you have the time and energy then fight it....... we just had too much going on so gave in!

I think with the plants you might end up having to pay for them unless you reported it when it happened and then that is a different story as they could have mostly likely have claimed that from their insurance. In regards to the floor, I think it is worth contacting the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs. Even if you did do some damage to the floor the formula for working it out takes into account the age of the floor etc and as you say fair wear and tear. You wouldn't be charged for replacing it new (if at all.)

I would contact OCBA now.They are very fair,and the Agents don't like going to a Tribunal.I had a bad experience with our first Rental.The Agents were rude,unhelpful Pigs.At end of lease they tried to keep a good chunk of our bond,we went to Tribunal and saved a good portion of it.Anyone getting a Rental needs to take lot's of Photos of any concerns,however slight,and present them to the Agent,with proof.Our second Rental was through a private LandLord,out of the local Newspaper,and was fine.No problems,no underhanded tricks etc,and no issues getting all our bond back! Newbies please be aware of this subject.