Guest larkydarky

Adelaide Here We Come

Guest larkydarky

Just got word this morning that Skilled 119 Permanent residence visa has been granted.....only took 9 months...:notworthy: Has anybody any views on areas to move to....I have been looking at port Noarlunga.......Mawson Lakes and also Mount Barker looks really nice........any input would be welcome......:smile:

David 43

Annette 43

Jason 3

David 20 months

Andrew 20 months

Good stuff. We're heading to Port Noarlunga next July with an 8 week stay at one of homesdownunder.com lets.

Noticed the Lenny picture, is that a sign of support after today result?

Guest larkydarky

Aye bad result today....Rangers will have the league won by christmas.....but what can ya do.......:arghh:

Yeah Port Noarlunga looks nice with reasonable rent prices......but I suppose we will just have to see where the company i am working for puts us up when we arrive......just for 2 months until we find our own rental.....exciting stressful times ahead for a wee while....

Guest PJ1

Firstly, well done must be very exciting...I remember back when we were at that stage...so much to do ..lot of excitement..bit of uncertainty...just try your best to enjoy the adventure !!!

As for the places you have mentioned...obviously it is all down to personal taste and wants, very much part of the adventure is visiting places and getting a feel which ones tick your boxes for your individual needs...

My personal thoughts are ..

Port Noarlunga is nice , close to the sea (duh obviously!!) approx 40min commute in morning to City (can also catch train if u need to) close enough to large shopping centre and to the vineyards and plethora of beaches etc ...we live in the south and so naturally we have a bias....!!

Not really the best one to ask about Mount Barker, what I can say is it's hills, blocks have often (but not always) got sloping driveways very beautiful scenery, but requires a 30-40min + drive to the sea and the city, you probably have to be a tad more savvy with bush fires and chances are that you will see more snakes and spiders here than at the other two locations...but that is my issue not a reflection on the area !!!! Generally I think it is classed as a very nice area often with stunning views.

Mawson Lakes.....north of city...not sure of commute time, but probably the shortest distance to the city....it has a lot of nice houses in Mawson Lakes itself, and is fairly pricey to buy a house....it just did not float our boat when we looked, but when I have popped out there for work it has always seemed pleasant enough....

It just all depends on what you coming from and looking for...the main thing to know is that SA will almost certainly have what you want somewhere, you just need to give yourself chance and time to find the right spot.....best of luck.

Aye bad result today....Rangers will have the league won by christmas.....but what can ya do.......:arghh:

Yeah Port Noarlunga looks nice with reasonable rent prices......but I suppose we will just have to see where the company i am working for puts us up when we arrive......just for 2 months until we find our own rental.....exciting stressful times ahead for a wee while....

There's always administration (Rangers that is) but that would be a shameful way to win the league, providing we can get above Motherwell. Something not quite right at Paradise this season.

Football aside, when are you heading out and are you currently based in Glasgow?

Guest larkydarky

We are looking at sometime in January.....depends on how quickly I can rent my house out....I dont live in Glasgow anymore....been in Dublin the last 15 years.....but got offered a 4 year contract in Oz and said ...why not...its only 4 years and if we dont like it then we can always come back......

It's worth a go. Let us know how you get on and maybe keep in touch.

Could do with someone to watch the hoops with next season. Albeit at some right strange times.

Please don't shoot me down - you've asked for opinions and this is just mine. Mawson Lakes would be one of my last choices of suburbs. It's convenient to the city but to me it's a bit like legoland. It's a brand new estate full of houses that look exactly the same adn whilst they might look schmick to the people who like these kind of generic homes now, in 20 years it'll look cheap and worn. The houses are pretty cramped - for me personally I like houses with more character and areas with a more authentic sense of community, not an artificial lake set up by the land developers to create a 'town centre' and a few chain shops.

I appreciate for some people though they'd hate my house/choice of area - this is just my opinion. Mawson Lakes is convenient to the city and wouldn't be a huge drive to the beach at Semaphore if the beach is important to you.

Not a huge fan of Mount Barker either - a bit too far from the city for my liking and not as pretty as other spots in the hills. As I say to all -0 the only way you can really know is have a good look round each area for yourself. =)

The 3 areas you've shortlisted are pretty different from each other - what are your criteria, then maybe we can help you more.