Guest jlr248

How to get into the mining industry

Guest jlr248

Does anyone have any info about getting into the mining industry (FIFO etc). OH is a plumber and has also worked in construction for many years but is willing to go in at any level to get a foot in the door.

Guest mez10

In my experience of the mining industry in WA (Port Hedland) its 'who you know and not what you know'

I've got men working on the railway for BHP in Pt Hedland and I've spoken to BHP Project Managers and they all say the same.

Also, theres a big push on starting 'indigenous' people, the target figure is 20% of the workforce.

I know PMs who have men wanting a start, but they can't start until they have the magic 20% figure of Indigenous.

Hopefully someone on here works in the mines and can help you get on the first step.

Good Luck

From what I understand as well mining is hard to get into and they want people with experience and agree with the sentiment of it is not what you know but who you know, that is typical especially in Adelaide. I know in the construction industry they will often only take referrals from workers already on site and then some of the admin/office roles are ear marked for the WAGs of the construction workers to keep everyone happy!!!

3 big mining companies advertising for people in todays job paper. There will be a big response for these roles so your resume and cover letter will need to stand out. Also another pointer often on big projects the recruiters may be contract staff through agencies (I have worked on two projects as a recruiter for companies where the whole recruitment teams are from agencies and do not work for the company) and they will be given pointers to look out for on peoples resumes, so if you don't have on your resume the words or what they are looking for you will potentially miss out. Also when companies are using computerised recruitment systems it is easy for people to get lost in the system.