Sign in to follow this  
Guest oidara

Can anyone talk me through the medical exam? Anxious daughter needs reassurance!

Guest oidara

Hi folks,

I am thinking ahead to when we have to do our medicals. I have 2 daughters, aged 4 and 2, and the eldest is very anxious about visiting doctors because of bad experiences she had with dentists at an early age.

The more information I can give her and the sooner and I can tell her about it, the better she will be able to handle it.

Is there anyone else here who took very young kids to the medical? If so, can you give me a quick run down of what they check?

Many thanks!

Guest guest7008

Hi there, we went for medicals in June - had 6 children with us - 18 months, 4, 9,10,14 and 17 - i too was worried as our 4 year old does not like doctors/dentists and has a severe phobia of needles so to say i was panicing was an understatement :) When we went the actual medicals for the under 5's is tiny - they will come and see the panel doc with you and he will basically just say hello to them, may check their tummys or make them do a couple of star jumps etc, but the panel doc we saw did absolutley NOTHING to them!! He basically just observed them - ie see that that can walk properly etc etc - docs can tell alot of things about a child just by looking at them! They will need NO TESTS at all - no urine samples or blood tests so all in all it will be pretty easy for them. The docs and nurses are very kind and lovely and will put the children at ease. Just bring some snacks, books etc to keep the occupied as you will be there a couple of hours as you will need x rays/blood tests etc. Good luck and stop worrying, it really is nothing to stress about Helen x

Guest oidara

Oh wow, that is very reassuring! I had no idea it would be so minimal. Do they not even check their eyesight or anything? I ask because we had to take them for eye tests today (required here in Austria as part of the whole "well baby" thing) and my eldest freaked out about the eye drops. I had a horrible sinking feeling that she may have to go through the same thing all over again in January for the visa, but it will be great if not.

Guest gabriel

My two had to do urine tests at our medicals. Because they had not drank enough water (their urine was too concentrated) they had to do them 3 times they were getting really fed up (this was back in March). I would advise to drink loads I had the same problem & my sample was sent off. The kids had to do an eye test (very straightforward read down the card) & got weighed.The panel doctor was fantastic even letting them use the stethiscope to check our pulse etc.It is very straightforward. When its over I wonderded why I got myself in a tiz but it's normal to feel like this. All he best

Guest oidara

Thanks, Trudy. It's interesting that you and Helen had such different experiences! Still, it doesn't sound like any of that was too invasive, so hopefully it will be okay.

Guest guest3462

We have had Medicals both in the uk and here in oz. both very similar. the girls got weighed and had their reflexes checked( but I think that was more the drs having a nice time than physical exam!!) we also had a medical for our premi baby which I was worried about, but the dr guessed her weight checked her over visually only and passed her. He never made comment of her severe jaundice or small size. No worries whatsoever your children will be fine x. Seems like money for nothing while you are there to be honest! :-)

Guest oidara

Thanks, Julia. I am feeling a lot better about it now! We will also have a newborn at our medicals (I guess he will be about 4-6 weeks old by then as he's due in 2 weeks) so that's all very reassuring.

Guest guest7008

hi, our under 5's had NO eyetest or urine test....to be honest no tests at all...when our 4 year old saw the doctor she ran out crying as i said in previous reply she is scared stiff of docs/dentists etc....he very gently talked her into coming in to see him and basically she just looked at a book while he summed her up!! No reflex test, no tummy tests no nothing! Paid £80 for the under 5's to basically do nought!!! but worth it in the end cos we all passed and have our visa....HAPPY DAYS!!! Good luck and you all be fine xx

Guest oidara

Thanks, Helen! This will be one situation where I won't mind paying for next to nothing!

Guest boesman

All of the above are true. I have 3 young ones. Just a wee sample for them and a look over while they were extremely naughty (which proved to the dr that they were normal), but I was terribly embarrassed:)

Guest Paula H

Hi ya, we had our meds 2 weeks ago (UK - south), me, my OH, our 3 kids, 11, 9, 2... They checked our height, weight, ears, eyes (including eye sight) then we had to strip to knickers & bra, lay on bed and doc felt glands, tum, tickled bottom of feet, we had to lift legs up and then sit up where doc listed to chest front and back, then for me and my OH the doc checked our blood pressure and took bloods, for me, my OH and son (or anyone over 11) they did a chest x-ray

Hope this helps.

Oh and urine test for all of us