Misplaced

Hours of work

Hi All,

Just another stupid question from me - when they say 40 hr week does that include lunch/dinner? I know this will vary from job to job but what is the consensus? Also, what is the usual lunch/dinner 1/2 hour or hour?

Look forward to the responses as I am sure they will be interesting.

Mis.

Nope, 40 hours work is what it says..............sorry.

I work a 38 hr week, officially, but with on call overtime etc, its can be as much as 48; but not very often i hasten to add. over 5 days, thats 7.6 hours of work per day, but this week it seems like 76hrs, lol.

busy busy,

Guest Peachie

a full week for me would be 5 x 8hr shifts (which are 8.5hrs) 30mins for lunch unpaid and a 10 min tea break it was about the same set up in uk but never all my breaks even the unpaid one as too busy so better here x

I work in health. The shifts are 9hrs long with 30mins for a meal break and also a 10mins tea break. We work 9 days a fortnight and have every other weekend off. This is really good compared to my working conditions in health in the UK.

My Oh works for a hardware chain.

Above 38 hours is termed full time. If he works from 12 till 9 he gets paid for 8 and a half hours (30 minutes lunch not paid for) but also gets two 15 minute breaks that are paid for. If it's below 8 hours there is just one 15 minute break paid for.

Tamara

I work Mon-Fri 8-30am to 5-00pm as a workshop technician. Get 45 mins a day dinner break and thats about it. Working less hours than i did back in the uk for more money.

My 'official' hours are 8-4.30 with a 15 min (I think?) paid 'tea break' and a 30 min unpaid lunch. However as with most professional roles I can't remember the last time I did those exact hours, it's not like the clock hit's 4.29 and I run out the door...

To me it seems many companies here have earlier starts than in the UK - just my opinion, but an 8 or 8.30 official start seems quite normal here - in London I didn't know many people starting pre 9am, often nearer 10am in some places. It took me a while to get use to the expectation that I'd be in the office by 8 at the latest, and also that it was acceptable to leave work pre 5.30pm, but now I love the fact I can enjoy beach walks and swims on summer evenings.