howard

Any green fingered people out there??

Hi Guys!

Thinking of having a little spruce up in the garden and am new to SA so looking for ideas.

What plants/flowers would you put in the garden bearing in mind that I want it to look nice all year round.

Thanks

Jo

:jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Jo!

This is the first time I have ever tried to grow anything and I did a whole load of pots about 6 weeks ago and they are going great!

I have a kangaroo paw which has doubled the amount of flowers already and I think they flower all year round, a bottle brush which has flowered once already and now has grown new shoots with a second set of buds, some yellow and some purple sea daisies which are covered in flowers, a lemon tree which I bought covered in blossoms and is now full of tiny 1 cm lemons (very cute!)

I have also planted some sunflower seeds, now around 4 foot tall and some other little flowering stuff that I think will only last the summer. I went to bunnings and asked the lady there, she was great, I got my pots in k mart (3 different sizes for $20) much cheaper than everywhere else. I am not at all green fingered (or green thumbed as they say here?!) but I am just watering them evey other night and have used blood and bone (yuc!) feeder twice now and I have a garden full of flowers andcolour!

I think i spent around $200 including my pots. Good luck! Oh by the way if buntings plants die you can return them for a year!

Claire

Guest Guest5035

anything native and that way the summer will not kill them

stevo

Guest Guest75

As Steve said,natives or South African plants. cant beat em'.

Most succulents do very well here.

Give me a shout and perhaps pop up to my place and I'll show you what works well + I'll give you some easy cutting to work with.

Drop me a pm with your number.....

PS, just nearby me is a plant wholesaler /propagator who will sell to the public:biggrin:

As Steve said,natives or South African plants. cant beat em'.

Most succulents do very well here.

Give me a shout and perhaps pop up to my place and I'll show you what works well + I'll give you some easy cutting to work with.

Drop me a pm with your number.....

PS, just nearby me is a plant wholesaler /propagator who will sell to the public:biggrin:

Thanks Tyke - as soon as we're ready to go I'll give you a shout - even if its just to look around your lovely home lol

:biglaugh:

if you want some cheap plants, there is a house down in McLaren Flat who then really cheap we have had some from there and they are doing really well.....she even gives plants/flowers in exchange for flower pots, we gotta pay her a visit again to grab some more...

Pig Face goes well here and you get some lovely pink and yellow flowers, we have cactus and loads of other pricklies in our front garden....

HG